Raccoon proof coop (post pics plz)

I have heard if a 5yo can open it, a raccoon can. Our coops(one is ducks, one is chickens) all have hardware clothed windows and padlocked doors.. and that is every entrance( nest box, chicken door etc)

The chicken coop is elevated and the floor is made of wood, huge boards left from an old deck. The duck coop is done on industrial sized wooden skids, so the floors on these coops are solid. All parts screwed together, no nails.

This is the duck mini barn, it has old barn board siding and a solid wood door.

This is the chicken coop don't mind the huge roof overhang, that is still needing to be brought done to normal in this pic lol

Last edited:
I live in So. Texas, so I have to worry more about the heat than cold. This is a coop I build for smaller groups of birds, such as breeding trios or growing out young. You can't tell from the photo, but the pink board in the middle at the rear is about a foot away from the back wall and is a roost. I use 1/2" x 1" welded wire for the whole coop. It is 4'x6'.

I also use 1/2 x 1 in wire it is 16 gauge and called cage wire where I live.

awwwww.... i've had house rabbits forever, they both died this past year :( I miss them!!
The chickens harrassed them tho, well one of them- the other one would fight back

Our coop and run in th making. Old shed and dog kennels. Gonna run hardware under and around the coop. Wire for the top of run. Still along way for us but it's coming close to spring and should be done by time were ready for chicks

Last edited:
We used a number of measures on our coop:

We added stucco wire ( similar to hardware cloth - we had soem left over.. ) on the bottom of the coop before we put the plywood down

We also used wire dug into the ground around the whole coop.

We also put latches and "s" latching caribiners on all our pop doors, etc.

In the run we used hardware cloth dug into the ground and welded wire. The doors to the run have hasps and latches.

We went overboard - so they have to get through multiple layers... so far we haven't had any issues!

Back
Top Bottom