Raised Coop Floor vs. Ground Level Coop Floor

It depends on whether you are making a coop you can walk in, or a smaller one. If you raise a smaller coop up off the ground, you don't have to crawl or go on your knees to clean it - of course if you have a hinged roof that is a moot point.
smile.png
The other big advantage is that your chickens can go underneath it to get out of the rain, it is automatic shade of shorts, and it saves run space- more room. You can also tuck feed under there and it stays dryer.

I don't think I would try to raise a large coop- it would take an awful lot of wood to build a platform to support anything tall and heavy. But that's just me!

My coop is raised off the ground about a foot. It's a 4x4x5 coop. We just used treated 4x4 for the "legs" and run 2x4 across for braces and then set the coop on top of it. It took four of us to lift it up and get it on there. The pros would be that it is harder for predators to "make home" under it. I guess the cons would be that if it's too big it may be difficult to level it and what not if you didn't have the help available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is raised up and the chickens spend the hot part of the day uder there dust bathing and lounging.

I like ground level for broodies so the chicks can get in and out.

Last edited:
Quote:
The above statements are justification for building TWO coops; one the main coop, and the other, smaller, for a broody segregation and/or grow out coop for younger chickens. Or for a meet & greet segregation/integration facility.

Ours is raised this time, my last coop was ground level and adding the run took alot of space. This time I went raised to save space and to also create a somewhat protected outdoor space for winter and shade in the summer. There is also a cost savings because our coop legs become most of the run. And to answer your next question....ours is 28" off the ground. Final pictures will be forth coming.

Well my fiance has approved a plan for me to take a 20x50 section of our lot to make a coop and run. The coop/workspace will be 20x14 and Im thinking that it will be ground level for lower construction costs.

All of mine are ground level. I can see some good points of raised but I guess where you live would have something to do with it. I love my ground level and will be doing a third for my turkeys and will keep it ground level. good luck

Raised are fine for small coops. But for large coops they should be ground level ( or slightly above ) as its impractical to raise them, and you will want to walk in it, to clean and work in.

I prefer ground level myself, I use shavings in the coop and it makes it easy to rake out the old stuff and get into to give food and water.

Neither method is wrong just what works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom