raised dog bed or normal dog bed

May 31, 2017
Mo
ok so our dogs have never had a dog bed before because they just sleep on our couch but the couch is getting bit and scratched from them playing on it and when people come over the dogs our on our couch and there is no place to sit. so should i get a raised bed for them because its higher so its more like a couch but its not squishy and comfy and our dogs like comfy or a comfy squishy bed that isn't high or maybe i could get the raised one and put the comfy bed on top of it. what do you think?

I think dogs as they are trained when small become creatures of habit as they get older. If they are used to sleeping on the couch, then they would probably adjust to something that approximates what they are used to better. I love dogs. I am eagerly awaiting the weaning of my GSD puppy so I can pick him up. His parents are Chezk imports. Expensive; but, I wanted the best I could get when you consider this will be my best friend for at least 12 years, and I am not spring chicken.

I have 10 dogs. All but one have beds on the floor but they are also allowed to get on furniture. The little ones sleep on my bed at height. My maltipoo Cha Cha likes being up high. She's the only one who has a raised bed.

Good luck training them not to jump on furniture. If you find it impossible there's a product called a scat mat that emits static electricity when it's touched. It doesn't hurt the dogs, they just don't like the way if feels.
DSC_0785.JPG

I have 10 dogs. All but one have beds on the floor but they are also allowed to get on furniture. The little ones sleep on my bed at height. My maltipoo Cha Cha likes being up high. She's the only one who has a raised bed.

Good luck training them not to jump on furniture. If you find it impossible there's a product called a scat mat that emits static electricity when it's touched. It doesn't hurt the dogs, they just don't like the way if feels.View attachment 1030893

That is a lot of dogs. My wife has begrudgingly allowed me two dogs. My GSD that is coming, and I am waiting on a rat terrier as well. Rat terriers must be fairly popular as I am on a waiting list for a black and white male. That was the closest I could find remotely in my area. I just love animals. And when the kids go back to school, it will be nice to have some furry animals friends that aren't as fickle as my wife's orange tabby.

There are couch covers available. I am not talking about a slipcover. It is kind of like a quilt and it is made to be thrown over the couch to protect it. It will cover the back, seat, and arms. Might be worth looking into.

I think dogs as they are trained when small become creatures of habit as they get older. If they are used to sleeping on the couch, then they would probably adjust to something that approximates what they are used to better. I love dogs. I am eagerly awaiting the weaning of my GSD puppy so I can pick him up. His parents are Chezk imports. Expensive; but, I wanted the best I could get when you consider this will be my best friend for at least 12 years, and I am not spring chicken.
the thing is that we got harriet at 11 months old from the animal shelter so we are not sure if she was allowed on the couch or not and poochie we got when she was 3 years old

Good luck training them not to jump on furniture. If you find it impossible there's a product called a scat mat that emits static electricity when it's touched. It doesn't hurt the dogs, they just don't like the way if feels.View attachment 1030893
they are still going to be allowed on the couch i just would like it so they are not always on it

the thing is that we got harriet at 11 months old from the animal shelter so we are not sure if she was allowed on the couch or not and poochie we got when she was 3 years old

I don't plan on allowing the dogs on my furniture. GSD puppies are cute. But, if you try to make them a lap dog, it will be overwhelming at 90 pounds. I have been watching training videos and plan on ordering more. Having a brand new brain to train, that is eager to learn, I want to get it right. I plan on crating mine, so they will be used to that. I also plan on getting the little guy a harness and leash so he is used to that, and can walk with me at an early age so he will be used to my walker pace going for walks. I plan on doing everything I can to keep his keen mind trained, with play and training sessions each day. I also plan on sleeping on the couch for awhile, because it will be like having a baby again. So, if it gets anxious in the night, I can comfort it just like a baby, without it waking up my wife. Anxious dogs tend to be dangerous dogs.

We have both kinds of beds in our house and all but our beagle like the raised ones. We did add extra bedding to the raised ones as it makes it easier on our elder dog. Our dogs are allowed on furniture but don't give us the evil eye when we shoo them to their beds anymore

Back
Top Bottom