Raised Flower beds around coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FarmGirl21, Apr 16, 2009.

1. FarmGirl21

FarmGirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    Has anone done raised beds around their coop? did it work well and keep the chickens from munching on everything?

I really like the way they look and was thinking about doing it but thought i should ask & see how its worked for other people first. Thanks everyone.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    raised how far?. Chickens fly you know. [​IMG]

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I have found that more damage comes from scratching than from eating so if you put enough obstacles in the beds so they can't scratch they'll be OK. I hammer in stakes and place rocks amongst the plants and it works well for me. Once plants are established they are usually OK on their own. I had vegetables close to the coop and everything was fine except for the tomatoes.

4. FarmGirl21

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    ha, of course [​IMG]

i was thinking like a couple feet high. my grandmother wanted flower beds so they would need to be tall enough so she wouldnt have to do much bending.

they might fly but hopefully they wont start climbing the walls of the run like spiders, lol

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  5. FarmGirl21

Sep 16, 2008
    WA
    I'm thinking we're gonna have the tomato beds in a safer, farther away place [​IMG] mine love tomatoes too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by