Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
Back from another back country adventure! DH took care of the birds this time, and did a great job. Okay, next week we are possibly hitting 115 degrees (and we say, "It's a dry heat" hah!!) This is the first time I've had a batch of new chicks with their mamma outside on a sweltering day. With my fully feathered guys and gals I do misters and little "ponds" (upside down storage tub lids filled with water in which to wade). Anything special I should do for the downy little chicks? (Besides nice cold water?)

Can't resist... it's not a chicken, but it was glorious, nonetheless. (Glad pics aren't "scratch and sniff" - we probably all are, on a chicken website!! But, I was in serious need of a shower at this point!!)
8120_kindlephoto-218775538.jpg

Last edited:
Back from another back country adventure! DH took care of the birds this time, and did a great job. Okay, next week we are possibly hitting 115 degrees (and we say, "It's a dry heat" hah!!) This is the first time I've had a batch of new chicks with their mamma outside on a sweltering day. With my fully feathered guys and gals I do misters and little "ponds" (upside down storage tub lids filled with water in which to wade). Anything special I should do for the downy little chicks? (Besides nice cold water?)

Shade, cool water. Breeze if you've got it. Misters might be ok, as long as the chicks can stay dry. Frozen gallon jugs sitting around to lay next to.

View attachment 1097464 View attachment 1097465

These are my babies! I made a brooder out of an old tote we had in the basement. I cut the center of the top out and attached chicken wire to it. I use a lamp right now, but I'm contemplating a pad.
The other picture is of them in the coop. I've been letting them play in there on warm days while the adults free range.
Sweet little flock you have there! :love I don't known if I'd change heat sources at this point. They look as if they're beginning to feather out a bit, so won't need it for too much longer. I do love using the heating pad method, but have also raised a bunch with the lamp...none of those appear to need therapy now that they're older :) .
Great to let them use the big-kids' area during the day. How are you planning to integrate them into your flock once they're ready?

Skipper's chicks go to their new home today... anybody ever lose sleep over selling chickens? I may be slowly losing my mind, because somehow I managed to worry about the chicks, Skipper, the other 4 birds who are being sold with them and, the people who are buying them (I didn't handle these very much - they're not friendly - they'll be a disappointment to their new owners, etc). Probably very silly, but at some point today I'm going to need a nap.

These are my babies! I made a brooder out of an old tote we had in the basement. I cut the center of the top out and attached chicken wire to it. I use a lamp right now, but I'm contemplating a pad.
The other picture is of them in the coop. I've been letting them play in there on warm days while the adults free range.

They're so cute! What breeds do you have there?

Skipper's chicks go to their new home today... anybody ever lose sleep over selling chickens? I may be slowly losing my mind, because somehow I managed to worry about the chicks, Skipper, the other 4 birds who are being sold with them and, the people who are buying them (I didn't handle these very much - they're not friendly - they'll be a disappointment to their new owners, etc). Probably very silly, but at some point today I'm going to need a nap.
Yes...I have lost sleep. :hit Are they going to a good home? Will the people love them as much as I do? Do they know how to take care of chickens....(Please call me if you have any questions, lol). If you ever decide you don't want them please call me first and let me have the opportunity to take them back. HA! Talk about a dog chasing it's tail! Hope the nap helps.......

Back
Top Bottom