Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
I'm sooo excited and thrilled for you Cap!

Just spent the day reworking my roosts in the henhouse, crated up the last of my excess for sale chicks and delivering them. Now all I have left are my 10 (positive one is an EE roo), plus the neighbor's 4 I'm holding until she gets back from vacation next week. I'll be without any Cuckoo Marans, as this last guy wanted 2 and I only had 1 not spoken for, so sold him mine. I'll replace it, or get something else later.

So, in two days I sold 15 8wk old pullets and more than tripled the chick order price of 25. Yup, I'm a believer now, and more importantly, so is HE! Of course, we've spent about $500 on henhouse and run, and feed and equipment. Could have saved more $$ there if we'd scavenged harder for lumber, but HE isn't at 100% and it's either been raining or hot or both.

I've heard from 4-5 more folks nearby that were interested in my chickens, but didn't move fast enough and have now missed out. Thinking about a reorder of chicks, but doubt they'd be laying before the holidays and cold weather, so probably not this year. Unless I get some just for me.

You did great, Wink!
Got the last plywood up except a small bit over the front door. Need another piece. Exterior painted except the back. Lots still to paint and build inside. 20170816_175110.jpg

@orrpeople @Jessimom or anyone remember from one of the HALs earlier this year, who mentioned the paper medical tape for a cracked egg? @biophiliac or @Wickedchicken6 was it one of you?

I feel totally horrible for not remembering, but anyway, i taped an egg that 2 broodies had broken 11 days ago and put it in the incubator. It hatched today!! I want to thank the person that first mentioned that stuff to me!!! beautiful little splash bantam cochin.
WP_20170816_16_35_37_Pro (2).jpg

took this after i taped it, before i stuck it in the bator.
WP_20170805_19_13_05_Pro_LI.jpg

@orrpeople @Jessimom or anyone remember from one of the HALs earlier this year, who mentioned the paper medical tape for a cracked egg? @biophiliac or @Wickedchicken6 was it one of you?

I feel totally horrible for not remembering, but anyway, i taped an egg that 2 broodies had broken 11 days ago and put it in the incubator. It hatched today!! I want to thank the person that first mentioned that stuff to me!!! beautiful little splash bantam cochin.
View attachment 1112709

View attachment 1112710
not me but sounds like it worked!:clap great to know.

and that baby!:love

View attachment 1112709

View attachment 1112710
:frow It was not me that had mentioned the medical tape...I never have the best of luck with cracked eggs...lol. That's fantastic that it worked for you!!!! Right on!! :yesss: Eleven days with a crack...impressive! :clap

That's a cutie chick! :love :woot

Back
Top Bottom