Raising Wood Ducks

I agree with others it looks like a hen to me! See the white forming around the eye? Thats sign of a hen. Also, a drake would have the red eye and cheek markings by now. Its a girl!!

Woodies are very hard to tame! Congrats to you! I was never able to do it. Even hatching them in an incubator and hand raising them they always stayed wild!

Here is a baby Wood Duck

I can't wait!!!! This is super cute. I am getting wood duck eggs in the spring time. Any help or info on incubation would be wonderful!!! Thank you so much!!

Last edited:
TTENTION: The survey is only open until January 31, 2016, so if you haven't yet, please take part in it. Every little contribution counts!

------------

I highly encourage everyone with captive waterfowl in North America to take some time to fill out this survey created by the International Wild Waterfowl Association.

----------------------------------------------------

Dear fellow captive waterfowl keepers,
The International Wild Waterfowl Association is conducting it's third Captive Waterfowl Survey to determine the actual captive status of waterfowl in North America. The results of the survey allow all interested in conserving waterfowl to remain aware of species populations so appropriate actions can be taken to stabilize species in decline. IWWA's 2004 and 2010 Captive Waterfowl Surveys were instrumental in the preservation of several species in North America and we look forward to updating those important findings.

This year the survey is being offered online for ease of responding. I would like to request each of you complete the survey and also forward the survey link to your waterfowl contacts in the United States and Canada. Like the 2004 and 2010 surveys the results of the current survey will be publicly available on the IWWA website after analysis.The survey will remain open until January 31, 2016 but please respond as soon as possible!

Here is the link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/IWWA

Thank you in advance for your help.

P.s. If anyone needs a paper copy of the survey please e-mail me ([email protected]) and I will mail one.

Please! Don't feed your baby woodies chick starter. It will kill them. I lost all the babies for two years, before I realized that chick starter poisons them.

The perfect food is Mazuri Waterfoul Starter. (I don't work for them)
I buy it directly from them. Their number is 314-317-5179

For the first few days, crush the little pellets to make them smaller. In a few days, they will eat them whole. You may add small meal worms which they will love, and also dried meal worms, whole or crushed (100 time cheaper).

Your babies will thrive!

The feed come in large bags, but it wall last a season, and can be fed to any other kind of duck as well.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom