Ramp question please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by navasima, Aug 24, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    How wide should a ramp be? How much steepness can my chickies handle? The coop (in progress)stands on legs just under 3 feet. Advice greatly welcome!

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    The only ramp I have is 16 inches wide and measured out at an angle that makes it not so steep, we got a tape measure and held it from the pop door where the nest boxes are to the floor about 4 feet so the incline is more gradual. Also have 1X1 strips nailed across the ramp, spaced every 4 inches... for traction so that if for any reason they started slipping, they could get a hold on the strips. I had a 12 inch wide one first but found that they fought over who would go up or down more and always one got pushed off.

My 2nd coop has concrete blocks for steps up, and then the 3rd coop has a ladder with rungs...16 inches wide.

I like the concrete blocks the best because they stay put and seem to stay cleaner.

3. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    My ramp is a 2X6, Its about 4'long and ends on a cement block (it saves me about three feet of ramp length). From the door it drops from 30" down to 16". I also use wood strips for traction. The girls like to perch on it throughout the day, and I hang a waterer under it (easy to access and easy to keep clean)

4. Renthorin

Renthorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    My ramp is one foot wide. It's the same width as the coop door so whether or not more than one chicken can be on the ramp at the same time doesn't matter as their fat butts won't be going through the door in pairs [​IMG]

It is about a 35 degree angle. I originally had slats about 4 inches apart but I watched them sliding on the wood between slats. I didn't want pulled hamstrings (or whatever they might get) so I added another slat between the existing ones and they love it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

14" wide, 30-35 degrees and 3/4X3/4" treads spaced at 3.5".
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Mine is 2 1/2 inches wide. I cut a small poplar that size and put round steps, limbs, on it. I guess about five feet. If it doesn't work well then I'll something else.

7. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Thank you all very much for your responses!

8. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    My ramp was 8 inches wide and only has to go up 6 inches. Chickens still had trouble getting up and down so I switched to a milk crate. They now hop instead.

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Not sure if you can see it all that well. I used a tree branch. The landing to the grow out coop entrance is to the right. A few walked up or down, but mosy just jumped.

[​IMG]

10. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Our ramp is approx. 5" wide with cleats every 6-8" at a 45* angle about 4' long going from the coop to the run and the chics are doing fine with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by