Randi has died. Signs and symptoms to prevent this from happening.

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
So my hen Randi was a bit of an oddball. She died overnight. I posted before about her but nobody replied so it's really a mystery on what really went wrong with her. She was fine two days ago, having just moved into the coop on Saturday but yesterday mid-afternoon I noticed she was sitting there very still, head in her feathers, just quiet and lethargic. I checked on her a few more times and after a couple hours I decided to set her up a place inside the house with bedding and a personal food and water dish. She never touched either and died some time in the night. She suffers from a crooked beak. But she was 8 weeks old when she died, so I would think the beak, if it was a problem, would have killed her sooner than that. No real bugs in my coop, or plants, it's just lined with sawdust in the run and pine shavings in the coop. I post this because I want to know if anyone else who maybe didn't see my first post has any ideas, as I'd hate for this to happen with my other chickens.

RIP Randi

86324_screwybeak.png

Last edited:
I offer my condolences, and have no clue why it happened. She looks like a friendly bird, and she gives me hope for my own cross beak chick. I'm so sorry for your loss of such a beautiful bird.
hit.gif

As a nurse for over 20 yrs. I have noticed in newborn humans that one deformity outside usually has a deformity inside too. Maybe your chick was not normal on the inside either. So sorry for your loss. Gloria jean

So sorry for your loss. At 8 weeks of age, I'd suspect coccidia. You may want to treat all of your youngsters with Corid or Sulmet as a precaution. I've known cross beaked birds to choke themselves or they can starve out but it does not look like this was the case for Randi. If they have cocci, she may have been more susceptible because of her condition.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I had one die last week, and it did the same thing. Seemed more lethargic than my other two and stayed puffed up for days on end. I had thought that it was stress (we had just purchased them) since there weren't any signs of disease (diarrhea, bloody stools). It ate and drank pretty well, which gave me hope that it would rally. I have asked quite a few folks who know WAY more about chickens than I do (we just started), and apparently sometimes there are things wrong that you just can't see. Trust that you did everything right.

So sorry to hear about Randi...she was a beautiful chick. I wish I had some answers for you, but I have not had to deal with any illnesses or injuries yet with our flock, so I'm clueless. All I can offer you are hugs.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Cupman, I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful crossbeak baby.
hugs.gif
There is a cocci that they can contract at 8 weeks of age, it specifically affects older chicks. Our Salmon Favorelle somehow contracted it, we treated her with a Sulfur med and she was fine. I suspect this might have happened to Randi. Our girl, Julia had similar symptoms. Just not her usual bouncy self in the mornings and sitting fluffed up. I'm sorry it didn't come to mind yesterday when I read your post.

I'm neurotic about their environment and she still managed to get something. People are always dumbfounded but the truth is, they step on poo, they kick at their feeder and sometimes waterer (nutty chicks) and cocci can happen -- you just have to be ready for it. I don't know if Randi was on medicated feed but that is my best guess. As long as she was eating & drinking well, I can't think of any other reason for her to go.

I have a very special crossbeak too...they are all very special in more than just the one way. My sincerest condolences.
sad.png

My previous show rooster had a few similar symptoms and he had Marecks. He was very lathargic the day before he died and had mild wing and leg paralysis. Did you notice how the bird was positioned when she died? It is common for birds with mareck to have one leg outstreched and torticollis which a lateral turning of thye head or neck paralysis possibly keeping her head tucked down into her feathers. Marecks is contagious so keep an eye on your other chickens! There isnt a cure but there is some talk of having success with St. Johns Wort if you can catch it early enough. I tried my rooster on it but marecks had already created cancerous tumors so the damage was down, though the St. Johns Wort seemed to comfort him in the end... It healed his paralysis so he could at least walk and wasnt in pain. The solution is 1 capsule of St. Johns Wort (can buy at walmart) mixed with 1 TBLS of DISTILLED water. When you mix this only use plastic as metal spoons or bowls will deactivate the herb. Administer with a baby syringe. To do so I would hold my rooster in my lap andtake hold of the top of his beak and hold his mouth open and take the syringe and give 5-10 drops for bantams or 10-15 for large fowl. Make sure you get the solution on the mucus membranes on the top of their mouth. I hope none of your other birds get any syptoms! if they do send me a PM and ill get back with you as soon as i can...

RIP Evan
57908_evan.jpg

Thanks for all the condolences, your posts have been nice. One comment sticks out about a possible problem, bantam0907, I believe the bird did have a foot stuck out, I'm fairly certain. I buried it earlier so I can't really go check but that seems closest to her symptoms. She was only around the other chicks when I noticed the problem for a couple hours at most, but now I'm all freaked out she passed on her disease to them, if that's even the case.

My birds have been on medicated feed since birth. I'll keep an eye on my birds and hopefully I don't have to post anymore topics about sick chickens! Thanks again, everyone.

Back
Top Bottom