Random Blood Droplets in Coop

Chullicken

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Dorchester, NH
1.5-year-old Icelandic rooster (1)
1.5-year-old Red Sex Link hens (4)
4 X 4 Coop (Wood Shaving Bedding) with 7 X 6 attached run w/ 4 X 4 additional area attached, chopped straw bedding material
Currently fed Purina Layer Pellets w/ handful of corn scratch and or Rolled Oats at night. 3/4 Cup
No visible signs of sneezing, feather loss, discomfort, watery eyes
Normal Stools that I could tell
Active, Drinking and Eating
Did find remnants of a broken eggshell, I assumed was buried, frozen in bedding and later ingested or broke up by occupants.

I got home today and while doing my nightly poop pick up, I noticed there were about 14 little blood spots on my sawdust bedding. Everyone is accounted for and very active. Was fairly low light and didn't notice any bloody heads or butts. Couple eggs and no blood on them. One thing caught my eye though is that every nest box had a few drops in them, I have three boxes. Didn't notice anything on or under roost bars.

One of your chooks may have possibly ruptured a blood vessel in her vent?
Yeah possibly. For some reason,
IMAG0037.jpg
they were very interested in my cleaning activities today so I got a really nice glimpse of their fluffy butts. I didn't notice any blood on feathers. I found this last month and she ended up dying on me a week later. So I am super paranoid now. Wasn't nearly as much as this hen spit out, but still.

Yeah possibly. For some reason, View attachment 1251228 they were very interested in my cleaning activities today so I got a really nice glimpse of their fluffy butts. I didn't notice any blood on feathers. I found this last month and she ended up dying on me a week later. So I am super paranoid now. Wasn't nearly as much as this hen spit out, but still.
I think the best thing you can do now is look at each individual chicken and find who has the problem, if you find the one try look for a local vet who can treat her and keep her separated till they are better.

Back
Top Bottom