Random chicken showed up

Sberrie

Songster
May 3, 2019
Delaware
My parents own a store in our local urban area and it looks like someone dumped this poor baby out front.
I sell my eggs out of there and they've had a sign up so im guessing someone saw it and decided to get rid of it
Its very weak and not shy at all. Feathers are raggedy.
Best guess is 6-8 weeks old maybe an australorp?
I know I need to quarantine it for at least 2 weeks but are there any other procedures?

Attachments

• 16022640246794429807847025565176.jpg
    16022640246794429807847025565176.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 53
Consider biological/medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article

It's much younger than even my newest batch and I've never introduced just one before. So im a little worried about it being bullied
This might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

Plus the.....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

@Sberrie
Wow, what a cool story - good luck with your new baby! We just rescued a hen found in a parking lot, and she went through a 30 day quarantine for safety. Then we are now integrating her by having her near the other birds, but not where they can fight, just to get them used to one another. A few weeks of this, then supervised time with the flock until she fully joins in. I expect them to get into scuttles with one another, but from past experience it usually gets settled out. Imagine if a total stranger showed up at your house and tried to make themselves at home! Give them time. But definitely quarantine to start.

Back
Top Bottom