Random ducks visiting me

CheekiBreekiChick

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2023
North Central Florida
Hey guys, a few weeks ago I had a pair of ducks show up in my yard. Cool, right? Interestingly, around this time last year two ducks with the same coloring visited, but I'm not 100% sure if these two are the same ones or a different pair altogether. The ducks from last year visited on and off for a month and then left, so I'm not expecting this pair to stick around either. They seem okay with my husband and I as long as we don't get within a few feet of the female, otherwise the drake gets huffy. I learned through BYC that domestic ducks are descendants of mallards, but does anyone have a guess as to what breed they are or what they're mixed with?

Now, it gives me the warm fuzzies when I have friendly critters come visit me, and I totally squealed when I peeked out the window and saw I had ducks again. But this year my husband and I got our first flock of chickens and I'm concerned about biosecurity. Do I need to be worried about these ducks? Is it okay for them to occasionally be hanging out next to my coop where the pullets are? I hate the idea of shoo-ing them off, but then again part of our backyard is woods and the wildlife shows up whenever and wherever it likes, such as my back porch 🤷🏼‍♀️ 🤦🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• PXL_20230703_110944334.jpg
    PXL_20230703_110944334.jpg
    832.2 KB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20230715_151732566.jpg
    PXL_20230715_151732566.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20230715_151734595.jpg
    PXL_20230715_151734595.jpg
    696.1 KB · Views: 17
Did they walk in or fly? They look like Muscovy going by bill shape. If you have neighbors maybe ask if anyone is missing a couple of ducks. They may have been dumped too. Ducks are hardy and rarely carry disease. Maybe they should join your flock before a predator gets them.

Did they walk in or fly? They look like Muscovy going by bill shape. If you have neighbors maybe ask if anyone is missing a couple of ducks. They may have been dumped too. Ducks are hardy and rarely carry disease. Maybe they should join your flock before a predator gets them.
They flew in. I've noticed in the evening they fly off in the same direction, but with the woods in the way I can't tell exactly where they're going. I wouldn't mind if they stayed but they only show up every few days so I guess they have other places to go.

I had 2 Muscovy hybrids and neither could fly. Rescues from the river below us.
But if they were from a wild population, wouldn't that make them more likely to? The colours are just wrong for pure Muscovy, but they clearly have Muscovy bills and rudimentary caruncle development.

I don't know where these 2 hybrids came from they just showed up in the river one day along with I assume their dad who was full Muscovy.
He flew but they didn't. They were most likely dumped.
I guess Hybrids can fly I don't really know. The coloring on the 2 the OP has visiting is very much like the 2 that were in our river.

I don't know where these 2 hybrids came from they just showed up in the river one day along with I assume their dad who was full Muscovy.
He flew but they didn't. They were most likely dumped.
I guess Hybrids can fly I don't really know. The coloring on the 2 the OP has visiting is very much like the 2 that were in our river.
Sometimes I just want to slap people...

Back
Top Bottom