Rant!! D*#~*!!!! It's Hot In South Louisiana

Yogiman

Songster
11 Years
Feb 2, 2008
South Louisiana
In no way do I intend to offend or taunt any of my friends in the northern states that are on this forum with this post. I know that many of you have snow on the ground and cold. Others are under severe weather warnings at this time.
But it is my turn to rant and vent.
rant.gif
somad.gif

Would you believe that at 4 p.m. this afternoon it was a HOT 86 degrees here? What gives?
somad.gif
Global warming is one thing, but this is crazy. Thankfully the humidity was at 33% or else it would have been really bad.
Now folks, I don't care who you are or where you are, but 86 degrees is just to dang hot!
I have little or no tolerance for the heat. Age and poundage works against me.
old.gif
I am totaly convinced now that I should have stayed in Alaska last July with those daily high temps of 55 degrees. After all, they do raise chickens, ducks, etc. in Alaska. I saw them!!!! And we have members on this forum up there.
Enough said, Just turn off the heat, please!

I would suggest making sure the A/C is in proper working order if your are already hot. It's just gonna get worse.:aww Believe me I've already checked mine. At least we had a very windy day today, because it was hot here in North Florida today too.

Oh Yogiman - you ain't seen nothing yet. I lived in the New Orleans area most of my life till we moved a couple of hours farther north at Christmas. I can tell you south LA will hit 110 with 100% humidity very, very soon.

I had the opposite problem of you. Having lived there all my life I had no winter clothes, and had never experienced cold or freezing weather. We moved to this farm in Miss. and I was posting threads asking Northerners how to stay warm. It only got to low 30s and high 20s here for the months of December and January but I thought I had died and gone to a frozen hello. I really thought I would die of cold. I could not get warm. I could not get this old farm house warm. I really thought I would not make it.

But there is a God, and He is good. Today, as you said was high 80s. I got to work in my garden and I got a sunburn. Funny - we had snow last Friday. Tonight my 4 week olds will sleep for the first time with NO heat light on. They stay outside and normally spend the nights chasing bugs that fly into their heat light but tonight it's still warm and muggy and they are getting a good nights sleep with no light.

Again, sorry to hear you don't tolerate heat well because it is just warming up in So. LA. but hey, welcome to LA and welcome to BYC.

It was a beautiful day here of 67! My garden was plowed under and tilled. I put my pea trellises in place! I cleaned and cut everything around my koi pond! It was a great day to be outside!

But ... my upper arms and shoulders are TIRED! We had a late snack and as I sit by the fire I am soooooo sleepy!

I also marked out my soon to be goose yard!

It was a most be-you-ti-full day!

barnie.gif
84 degrees today and 44 degrees tonight in Raymond, Mississippi! Definitely pneumonia weather. The plants are confused, too.
gig.gif
The only part the chickens seem to like is the DRY part. We've had a lot of yucky-mucky rain recently, and today was the first day the whole pen was DRY!
ya.gif

The garden was plowed under and tilled. Temp was 67 degrees. Now, Prissy, shame on you. Ya' just gotta rub it in don't ya'.
gig.gif
It's not like you didn't know what I was doing today.
I'm out there in rubber boots, slopping around in that mud and water building coops and runs. After all, this is south LA. If it doesn't rain another drop here until Sept. I might be lucky enough to get a fall garden in.
I knew something was wrong when I noticed that my hens would not leave the shade of their run. They were all standing around with their wings drooped and panting. They were giving that automatic waterer a work out too. Forecast for tomorrow is 74. Go figure! Then Easter has not come yet. Probably have a freeze with ice and sleet like last year.

Gosh Yogiman I know what you mean. We where working on the foundation today trying to finish some last minute things so we can pour cement as soon as it get dry enough for the truck to back into the drive way. Will be glad when that is done then the rest is all inside work.

I'm sorry Yogi, I don't like the heat at all. I think the perfect temp is 68 degrees, it's warm but not too warm to get the yard work done.

We had rain and wind and thunderstorms with some hail today. My back yard is a sopping mud pit by the chicken run. My polish girls went to bed with muddy mops on top of their heads and they just looked so unhappy about it.

I hope it mellows out a little for you before summer hits.

Jeese 86 degrees is normal temp here in the summer
it goes around 70-85 somtimes 60 or lower during drizzly
weather. But dang I would love for it to warm up here its
been cold sence october and dang nabbit im ready for ch-
ange!. We got rain 2 times this weeks and it got rid of most
of the snow and its been a steady mmm...30-40 degrees
which is the sorta weather that means no coat and can just
walk outside comfratable (Which im loving!). I dont know what
im going to do with the 23 chick coming april 9th though my b-
ig brooder is full (4,6 week old ducks) and my 2X1.5ft will prob
only hold them for a couple weeks which should even out sence
with put the duckies outside. Sorry I kinda got off subject but...
this is just tilting my plans all over the place!! I want change!!

Back
Top Bottom