Rats!

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your rats- I too have rats from time to time- I would get rid of the first batch and be rat free for awhile, only to be followed by more later. I think it's an ongoing problem with chicken keeping- I mean, everything is there for them: food, water, shelter, bedding, nesting material- the works- what's not to love?
I have tried all kinds of different traps set with every different kind of bait imaginable -all with limited results. I would catch one but not the next- they are incredibly smart.
I finally resorted (very reluctantly) to poison- and have had success for the time being. I think you have to keep switching up your trapping/killing method because the word gets out in the rat world and they very quickly know what to stay away from
If you do use poison- be SOOOOO Careful where you put it so you can monitor it and make sure no other animals can get into it. I know there is the risk of an animal eating the poisoned rat- but in my case, every rat died near the chicken food/water or at least they were almost dead and I quickly dispatched them upon discovery.
Good Luck-

You'll have to poison the rats. I would recommend a poison containing bromethelin which is a neuro toxin. One bite and they die. The hemmoragic poisons take multiple feedings to work and rats build up an immunity. Put the poison packets along the fence line or where they next. Chickens will eat the poison so make sure they can't get at it. Unfortunately, where ever you have chickens, you'll have rats or mice as they are drawn to spilled food the birds leave behind. If you see the rats in the daylight....you have a severe infestation problem.

Quote:
how are you keeping the chickens from eating the rats as you can't be with them all the time to collect the dead or sluggish rats? i did this but found one of my hens with one and had a time getting it away from her.??????

Back
Top Bottom