Raw feeding dog (Yes! No?)

I feed my big mutt raw whole prey. He just turned 2. He eats a whole chicken (with organ meat) every other day and leftovers (cooked meat, veg, and grain) in between. He only eats outside, otherwise I probably would be concerned about salmonella. He eats the entire thing bones, skin, the entire thing. If I butcher a young rooster he will pluck it and eat it for me. He has never been sick. He is a very hearty, very powerful dog.

I worked at a major pet retailer for nearly a decade and work as a professional groomer. I personally greatly distrust kibble. I'm not saying it's necessarily dangerous or that it's gonna kill your dog lol. I just don't trust that highly extruded and processed kibble has the actual nutrition a dog needs. This is a personal belief after years of working with dogs with terrible skin conditions, chronic infections, terrible dental issues, etc. I'm not trying to convince anyone else or push my beliefs on people.

But I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. Any dog I own will be fed real food just like I eat. I wouldn't live on a box of cereal even if it claimed to be nutritionally balanced to have everything I need to survive lol.

Tomorrow marks her first week of raw feeding! It is now a 60% raw to 40% kibble mix. She did not barf at all and has clearly gain weight. She was 8.5 pounds prior to raw feed, I will weigh her tomorrow. Her target weight is 9 pounds and she has been getting 3/4-1 cup a day. She gets two meals a day, so about 1/2 cup per meal.

Things I have noticed:
- She is gaining weight (feels heavier atleast)
- She has been eating her bowl CLEAN
- Overall energy level may have gone up, but I am not certain
- Her hair still remains the same, but I do not expect it to change overnight or even at all. Her hair has always been sort of iffy, even when she was a pup! 🥰
She went to the vet yesterday and weighed in at 8.9 pounds. I am proud of her.

The vet also said nothing was wrong with her for her checkup. She used to get comments on her eyes and her allergy symptoms on her abdomen seems to have gone away as well. I was worried the raw might make her sick, but I guess not!

Edit: For anyone interested, she is back on kibble. Not because raw doesn't work, just because she is getting tired of that TOO. My plan is to give her raw feed (down the line) once I own my own flock of quail and get into butchering. I haven't butchered anything yet, but I do plan to in the future. The raw I purchased was thoroughly processed and I think she may like something that is fresh. Anyhow, that would have to be in 2022, since there is a lot going on this year. Hopefully I could get a flock of quails soon. Thank you for everyone who has helped.

Last edited:
Today Kiki ate a raw chicken heart and kidneys. Both were frozen for 2 weeks prior, since I think someone mentioned that that would help. She wouldn't eat the gizzard. She also enjoyed 2 raw chicken legs a few days ago. I love the concept of feeding her food from the farm. Hope to expand it more this year.

Attachments

• EC0E0C04-1840-404A-9158-255E6636593C.jpeg
    EC0E0C04-1840-404A-9158-255E6636593C.jpeg
    450.2 KB · Views: 4
Today Kiki ate a raw chicken heart and kidneys. Both were frozen for 2 weeks prior, since I think someone mentioned that that would help. She wouldn't eat the gizzard. She also enjoyed 2 raw chicken legs a few days ago. I love the concept of feeding her food from the farm. Hope to expand it more this year.
What a cutie! My dogs love the extra chicken bits too. They have never loved any treat more than the legs.

I like how Auggie in the background look jealous 🤣

I mean absolutely NO hate, but I just can’t get over how Kiki’s nose looks like a Kalamata olive. I’m sorry, I just can’t unsee it now!

Back
Top Bottom