Rcom MX20 vs. Incuview w/ humidikit

Thanks all. I’m still new at all this chicken business but have thoroughly enjoyed having my flock this year. I have the space in the country (ag zoned fortunately) to do pretty much what I want - no restrictions on flock size or roosters, etc.

I’m still debating the direction I want to take. While I think it would be really fun and informative to hatch my own mixes and breed specific shipped eggs, I am concerned about excess cockerels. I don’t really want to keep a roo only flock and I’m not ready to process them myself. I did find a USDA poultry processor fairly close (~1 hour away) if I go that route. But then I think maybe I should order sexed birds of the breeds I want this winter/spring for my flock expansion.

I’m also playing around with coops and run expansion ideas, breeding pens, and chick integration. I know I won’t get it perfect the first time but I really would like to get a solid foundation moving forward. I guess I need to decide the future direction I want to take and make decisions from there.

Thanks again for the input! Given me lots to consider.
Medda

I’m still debating the direction I want to take. While I think it would be really fun and informative to hatch my own mixes and breed specific shipped eggs, I am concerned about excess cockerels. I don’t really want to keep a roo only flock and I’m not ready to process them myself. I did find a USDA poultry processor fairly close (~1 hour away) if I go that route. But then I think maybe I should order sexed birds of the breeds I want this winter/spring for my flock expansion.

I’m also playing around with coops and run expansion ideas, breeding pens, and chick integration. I know I won’t get it perfect the first time but I really would like to get a solid foundation moving forward. I guess I need to decide the future direction I want to take and make decisions from there.
Very Good that you are thinking of these things.
Hatching is a blast, but cockerels, brooding space, and integration are huge aspects many don't think about until they are 'in trouble'.

I don't know anything about the Rcom, but I love my Incuview....there will be cons to every product. I wanted it for the big clear lid and was enamored by and about manufacturers service on the Incuview thread....and the 30% sale tipped it for me last December(?). But I added pieces of tape to lid for 'handles', as it's almost impossible to open lid with one hand. No humidikit so had to rig a long needle to add water easily(still hard to see water level), not crazy about the turner(side to side sliders don't work as well as the rockers IMO)....but I've had great hatch rates and the view is astounding.
Have you browsed this Incuview thread? Maybe there's a similar one for the Rcom?

I should not be so harsh.
I don't think you were too harsh, just honest and accurate and brave...hopefully your observation will be heeded as it is much needed.

I haven't used either of those incubators, but I'll still throw my 2 cents in. :p
I'm a Brinsea fan, love my Octagon 20's and the new Mini (mostly using as an ICU or hatcher for leftover broody eggs). But I have not heard the best things about their new revamped models, the Ovations. Several issues in the early goings have steered me away from them now.

Last year I ran across the Harris Farms Nurture Right 360. While it has had some issues (they had to make a new fan cover because many chicks were getting scalped by the fans), I really do love the incubator and the view! So it may be another model you might check out.

I started with a cheapo Chinese bator, and while it did hatch some chicks, it was definitely not the set-and-forget kind!
IMG_6629.JPG

Back
Top Bottom