Re-Visiting Rooster Ownership

Mistyray_lynn

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
After reading almost the entire thread of Lancelot's bravery...

I am back to rooster wondering.....

I have 6 pullets (4mo) in a suburban yard and two children (4 yrs and 2 yrs). My chickens have an extra large house (an old shed) but a rather small run. They also free range while my children play. We CAN have a rooster here. I've thought about taking on a polish rooster (also 4 mo) from an aquaintence who cannot have roosters.

But I have concerns. My children gather up and carry the hens around. Play alongside them. And occasionally climb into the run. I don't know rooster behaviour. I posted a bit about this before, but was hoping for more feedback.

TIA

My opinion for what its worth & I do have a roo. A roosters job is to protect his flock. So, you get this roo & everything's going well. One day your child picks up a hen & Mr roo decides against your child handling his girl & he attacks your child. Then your child is scared & doesn't want chickens anymore. I wouldn't chance it. My rooster has never attacked me but he's not real fond of me handling his girls. I got my rooster to protect the flock & to fertilize the eggs. I live on a farm & got tired of supervising chickens so now I tell my roo their your girls you take care of them. My chickens don't really like me handling them anyway. I usually only handle the girls in the evening when their on the roost. I even pick up the rooster every now again & he lets me.

welcome-byc.gif

I absolutely love my roosters. In fact, I like them more than hens. I hold them, play with them, and let them ride around on my shoulder. Having said that, I would absolutely not have them around small children. They are driven by hormones and can go from sweet to cranky very quickly. Roos can cause serious damage with their spurs as well as deliver a nasty bite. I just wouldn't risk it.

I've never had a rooster, until now, and mine is tiny. Seems like you'd do better getting a chick (or three!) and raising them by hand with lots of handling by the children from the get go but even then, from what I've been reading, they can be wonderful and then just one day turn on you. I guess that could theoretically happen with any pet but I'd be cautious. I've got three polish chicks and in my reading up, I keep reading that they're kinda crazy. Maybe cause they can't see well? Perhaps a more docile breed would be in order.

do you have a way to separate the rooster while the children are playing and then let him back out after? i had a small dog run in the corner of my yard - roos go in there while the kid is in the yard playing - no stress!

Actually instead of hand raising the rooster yourself, I would find someone who hand raised their roosters around children and is already mature and it already a very well behaved alpha rooster who acts perfectly around kids even when the kids are handling the hens. It will take you a long time to find a "proven" perfectly behaved rooster that folks want to part with (unless the only reason they are giving up the rooster is because someone complained about the crowing). You might be able to lower your standards a little after your kids are both over 5 years old.

Unfortunately that sweet Polish rooster will develop hormones, so it is not a sure thing that he will still be sweet.

I love my roosters and I would encourage you to get one when your kids are a little older.

Back
Top Bottom