Laydeau

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2019
Last night before locking my flock up (they free range during the day and put themselves up at night i just lock the door) my pup decided to go after one. I have her in the house nice, warm and comfy in a tote. She's been drinking water all day. I have given electrolytes and found some remedies for pain (81mg baby aspirin to 1 cup water) it was difficult for her to keep her balance last night/this morning, she has been real wobbly and laying down- she just now stood up and walked, kinda limping but I've felt her multiple times and there are no breaks. The #1 concern I have is her crop. It's so so hard. It feels weird. I don't know if it's impacted from the tussle or if it's something else. She's breathing good -no gurgling, wheezing or anything, but she's definitely putting effort into it and only using her mouth. Earlier today she drank a lot of (regular) water and her crop softened up- now it's hard again and I'm scared to really massage it too much not knowing if there is more going on or if it's damaged. She's alert and lively, and being such a trooper, but i'm still scared for her. I really feel Iike her crop got impacted over night, it was very full at the time of the tussle. She got scratch, crumble along with free range time. Idk if she was in such shock her body didn't digest it correctly? Idk. How soon does the smell come on? Oh and she's gone to the bathroom multiple times and it's normal. I was going to take her to the vet but decided to exhaust all my options before hand. She also has small amounts of clear liquid coming from her nose- she had that going on a day before this happened- I thought she might have just gotten her beak wet- could it be something respiratory along with her injury? Or could it be from her using her mouth all day to breathe?
Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated. I was reffered to y'all by a very caring someone. I haven't had crop issues or anything like this happen to one of my babies so I'm lacking in the "I can fix you" department. I just started my flock 4 months ago so I'm very new to chickens.

It's possible the stress from the dog attack has triggered a crop issue as well as activating a respiratory virus that is dormant in her cells. Have you examined her thoroughly for bites, broken skin and puncture wounds? If you see puncture wounds, it will be wise to treat her with an antibiotic.

You've been treating her well for shock with the electrolytes. You can read this and get a better idea of what kind of crop issue she may have. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

The best thing to do is to first confirm a crop disorder, then figure out which one it is so you can treat it effectively. Check her crop first thing in the morning before you give her any food and water. (Remove food and water over night.) If the crop is full, you will need to decide if it's soft and spongy (sour crop) or hard and full (impacted crop). Neither one smells bad in the early stages.

If it turns out to be an impacted crop, you will treat it with coconut oil and massage and possibly a stool softener such as Dulcolax. If it's sour crop, you will treat with a vaginal yeast cream, but no massage. If she has a respiratory infection, just monitor it for now. It may get better on its own.

It's possible the stress from the dog attack has triggered a crop issue as well as activating a respiratory virus that is dormant in her cells. Have you examined her thoroughly for bites, broken skin and puncture wounds? If you see puncture wounds, it will be wise to treat her with an antibiotic.

You've been treating her well for shock with the electrolytes. You can read this and get a better idea of what kind of crop issue she may have. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

The best thing to do is to first confirm a crop disorder, then figure out which one it is so you can treat it effectively. Check her crop first thing in the morning before you give her any food and water. (Remove food and water over night.) If the crop is full, you will need to decide if it's soft and spongy (sour crop) or hard and full (impacted crop). Neither one smells bad in the early stages.

If it turns out to be an impacted crop, you will treat it with coconut oil and massage and possibly a stool softener such as Dulcolax. If it's sour crop, you will treat with a vaginal yeast cream, but no massage. If she has a respiratory infection, just monitor it for now. It may get better on its own.

Oh my gosh THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I really needed this

Back
Top Bottom