Reasons for production drop?

GBChickenMom

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2017
We have eight chickens that are about 6 mo old. We had been getting anywhere from 4 to 8 eggs per day most of the summer. We recently began building our permanent chicken coop right outside the chicken run and had a weeklong hot stretch with temperatures in the high 80s. Since both of those stressors, egg production has dropped to 1-3 eggs daily. I'm wondering how long it will take to recover egg production after the stressful event has happened? With the shorter fall days coming, will it recover this summer at all? And, should I try to let the egg production recover before moving the ladies to their new, permanent home? Im assuming that will be a stressor as well. Thanks for any ideas an input.

Same has happened to me. The heat stress has lessened egg production. It should go up slightly with the cooler weather. However, at 6 month old and fall here our chickens should start molting. They will most likely stop laying all together during the molt.

No molting yet. Will they start laying again after molt and then keep up lower winter production from there? And should I be worried about this, or just let them adjust and they will be fine?

We have eight chickens that are about 6 mo old. We had been getting anywhere from 4 to 8 eggs per day most of the summer. We recently began building our permanent chicken coop right outside the chicken run and had a weeklong hot stretch with temperatures in the high 80s. Since both of those stressors, egg production has dropped to 1-3 eggs daily. I'm wondering how long it will take to recover egg production after the stressful event has happened? With the shorter fall days coming, will it recover this summer at all? And, should I try to let the egg production recover before moving the ladies to their new, permanent home? Im assuming that will be a stressor as well. Thanks for any ideas an input.
With fall coming on you will probably stay at 1-3 eggs a day (or maybe less). With the weather change your birds should start molding and while doing this almost all their energy goes to reproducing their feathers and keeping warm. I have 12 birds and last fall and winter I got any where between 0-8 eggs a day. Hope this helps.

Just let them adjust, they will be just fine.
You might also consider moving the birds to their new home at this time because their stress level won't be any different one way or another. They will probably enjoy their new home, I know ours love theirs and we moved them in late fall or early winter during their molt and low egg production.

Your chickens won't molt until they're about 18 months old.
Heat and shorter days will affect production and with winter coming it could stop altogether.

I would go ahead and complete their move and get it over with. Once they get settled things might change.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom