Recanning Large jars?

caspernc

Songster
9 Years
Oct 15, 2010
Z town NC
OK call me weird, but I can buy a gallon of salsa that I love but can't possibly eat before it goes bad. Can I recan it into pint jars?

Personally, I wouldn't think it's safe. Salsa is one of those "borderline" things that you aren't supposed to mess with the recipe (I just double checked this on a canning site). I have no idea what it would do to reheat it again & recan it. It's not worth risking food poisoning to find out.

You could freeze it in smaller quantities - but it might change the consistency and be a little more watery. Excess water could be drained off if you prefer. If it is a commercial salsa, it has already been processed and heated, so it's not like you would have to heat it yourself before you freeze it (to stop enzyme action of the vegetables).

I would not try to can it in smaller jars, too risky. And unfortunately, salsa is not something that keeps a long time in the frig. You could also use it in recipes and freeze, like make a few pans of enchiladas, bake them and freeze in plastic containers for future meals. You could share it with others before it goes bad if you don't want to try freezing it.

I make my own pizza sauce using tomato paste and diced canned tomatoes mixed together, put in smaller jars and freeze. Works just fine.

Last edited:
I can salsa ALL the time; but NEVER a commercially prepared one that is in large jars (or even small ones for that matter)

I'd freeze it :)

Back
Top Bottom