Recommended Bird(s) for 8 Year Old

I've recently been hand rearing some cockatiel chicks to help out a breeder. I've never had a cockatiel and I am in love with them. Our kids have each chosen one to keep. They just want to ride on your shoulder and be cuddled. They are playful and funny, but they do live a long time. 15-20 years is a big commitment. They also need things to chew on and more attention than a smaller bird. A budgie is probably a good starter bird, especially if there's a chance your son will lose interest after awhile. I hope your little future feathered friend brings you a lot of joy!

If you were to get them at PetSmart I would handle the bird more than usual. We got ours at a place like there and if we snuggled them and stuff like that they will be more friendly. Everyone does have their own opinion about it though. One of our budgies give kisses!

Oh, we like to live dangerously. We let our dogs lick our faces and don't always remember to wash our hands after collecting eggs. We've played, barefoot, in a mud puddle or 1200! So yeah, the bird(s) will be handled and snuggled and kissed on a daily basis! :D

I've recently been hand rearing some cockatiel chicks to help out a breeder. I've never had a cockatiel and I am in love with them. Our kids have each chosen one to keep. They just want to ride on your shoulder and be cuddled. They are playful and funny, but they do live a long time. 15-20 years is a big commitment. They also need things to chew on and more attention than a smaller bird. A budgie is probably a good starter bird, especially if there's a chance your son will lose interest after awhile. I hope your little future feathered friend brings you a lot of joy!

I absolutely believe that cockatiels can be terrific birds. It's unfortunate my mom has the problems with hers that she does. I chalk it up to being left with non animal lovers while she's been hospitalized numerous times over the life of the birds. It has still made me skittish and turned me into wanting a bird less tempramental.

A 15-20 year commitment is a cake walk in our home. I walk in to EVERY animal decision knowing that the animal will more than likely become *my* animal.

The kiddo is pretty responsible, of course needing reminding, but doesn't put it off or have an attitude once reminded. He walks both dogs every day, gives them their vitamins, cleans the cat box, feeds/water/collects chicken eggs... and plays with them!

We are definitely looking forward to parakeet ownership, and will possibly get one 2 weekends from now. This weekend will be taken up with washing and disinfecting the cage my moms cockatiels vacated and putting together a brooder hospital coop for our broody chicken. Next weekend we should be hatching out (up to) 9 eggs. Then the following weekend we will deal with parakeets!

Thanks for the responses. After a very quick search, I agree. Parakeet/budgies it is. 2 more QUICK questions:

1. Is PetSmart a reliable source for purchasing them? There are no breeders in my area (I'd have to drive almost 2 hours to get one).

2. OR, is there a reliable breeder y'all know of that would ship?

Thank you @Junochick @chicken4prez @Coturnix Quail

Yeah, I guess so. You'd just have to look for one of the younger ones. You can tell which are younger by the stripes on their heads. If it goes down almost all the way to the nose, then they're pretty young. You'll also want to pick and active one. People don't usually ship birds; especially if they're only 2 hours away. This is all just some extra info for you. You can use newspaper as bedding. Get lots of toys, and swings, especially mirrors! It's usually better that if at the bottom there are no bars. Parakeets love eating seeds off of the ground! Millet Spray (you can buy it at Petsmart) is good for training. Budgies will absolutely go crazy over it, so you can use that to help!

Yeah, I guess so. You'd just have to look for one of the younger ones. You can tell which are younger by the stripes on their heads. If it goes down almost all the way to the nose, then they're pretty young. You'll also want to pick and active one. People don't usually ship birds; especially if they're only 2 hours away. This is all just some extra info for you. You can use newspaper as bedding. Get lots of toys, and swings, especially mirrors! It's usually better that if at the bottom there are no bars. Parakeets love eating seeds off of the ground! Millet Spray (you can buy it at Petsmart) is good for training. Budgies will absolutely go crazy over it, so you can use that to help!

Thank you very much! We are already toy crazed, having spent about 2 hours checking out toys online last night..... kiddo is starting to read up on keets and is thrilled.

I am glad your researching parakeets, some of them can talk. They are sweethearts and so pretty. I have a feeling your child will love them. Please post pics of the new family member when they come home. They are easy to sex there cere is blue for boy and a pinkish tan for girls.

I am glad your researching parakeets, some of them can talk. They are sweethearts and so pretty. I have a feeling your child will love them. Please post pics of the new family member when they come home. They are easy to sex there cere is blue for boy and a pinkish tan for girls.
One of mine would imitate microwave beeps.

Back
Top Bottom