Rectal prolapse

Judy Sweatt

Hatching
Jun 1, 2017
Bryan Texas
I have a female goose that has a prolapsed rectum. It looks like she had a HUGE ball of charcoal looking poop stuck and it caused caused the prolapse. I got it out and cleaned her up and put some Preparation H on it and waited a bit then reduced the prolapse. Then when she pooped again it popped back out. I cleaned her up once again and reduced the prolapse and put Preparation H around the outer opening. Hoping it will stay in this time. I have her in the bathtub in total darkness so hopefully she'll quit ovulating and give that area a rest as I'm afraid if she tries to lay an egg this will happen again. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advise would be helpful. Her name is Lulu and I've had her about 5 years....i don't want to loose her. Thanks.

A prolapsed vent if it is a genetic default is usually incurable. I have haven't had any luck with it despite my best efforts. I hope you have more success than I have had. We rarely get attached to drakes/roos, but share a special bond with our hens.

Sounds like you've done everything you can. Prolapse usually re occurs, but you (and you girl) may get lucky.

It seems like if I could put a couple of stitches in the outer opening to make it smaller, it would maybe hold everything in an offer just enough resistance so that when she pushes to poop or lay an egg, everything doesn't just pop out. I read somewhere that vets will sometimes do this but I don't know how successful it is in the long run.
20170602_093555.jpg
20170602_093555.jpg
20170602_093555.jpg
20170602_093555.jpg . 20170602_093629_001.jpg is

A prolapsed vent if it is a genetic default is usually incurable. I have haven't had any luck with it despite my best efforts. I hope you have more success than I have had. We rarely get attached to drakes/roos, but share a special bond with our hens.
I disagree. I had a Rhode Island Red hen that had this once. We got some Preparation H (it works on chickens as well as humans, but I would double-check for ducks). Using some medical gloves we carefully put her vent into place. Since then, it hasn't happened again.

The stitch might work for pooping, but I can't imagine it would hold against egg laying. I would think it would tear her during egg laying. Even if total darkness immediately shutdown laying, she still has one to three eggs to lay before the shutdown starts (those already about to be laid). Maybe some really sticky medical tape would hold for the pooping and not harm if/when she does lay? (just no over the actual vent itself.) The clear tape over an IV site w/ the vent hole cut out maybe????

I had a goose a few years back with prolapse. I had to give her a warm bath to reduce the swelling and clean the area. When I took her out of the water I used lots of Preparation H and lubricating jelly to very very gently push everything back in. I had to do this about 3 or 4 times.

My girl was fine and didn't have any issues with it in the long run. Next year she laid and never had an issue. Hope this helps.

I had a goose a few years back with prolapse. I had to give her a warm bath to reduce the swelling and clean the area. When I took her out of the water I used lots of Preparation H and lubricating jelly to very very gently push everything back in. I had to do this about 3 or 4 times.

My girl was fine and didn't have any issues with it in the long run. Next year she laid and never had an issue. Hope this helps.
I've put it back in several times and keep putting preparation h on it but it keeps popping back out. I don't want to put her down because she seems perfectly fine otherwise, but obviously I can't turn her back out like that and I also can't keep her in the bathtub forever either....it smells horrendous in there. I just feel so bad for her, and I don't know what to do.

I forgot to mention I kept her really well lubricated back there. I used jelly 2 to 3 times a day while she laid her remaining eggs. I think she had about 5 she laid after that prolapse happened. Each egg came with a tiny bit blood streaks. The prolapse would pop out just a touch each time but with the Preparation H and the jelly it healed up really fast.

Just my opinion here but I wouldn't do anything to block that vent. No tape. A vet could probably do a stitch or two to hold the tissue where its supposed to be but they wouldn't close the vent any. It's just a matter of stuffing the bit back inside and getting it to stay.

Back
Top Bottom