recycling feed bags

I get horse feed and chicken feed in the heavy paper bags. I cut the bags open and lay them down between my garden rows. They are excellent. Keeps the weeds down and holds the moisture in the ground. By the end of the growing season they have pretty much fallen away to nothing. The next spring, till everything in and start all over again.

I can not take credit for this, My Aunt Mary did this with calf feed and milk replacer bags long before I was born.

I would not staple paper bags to the ceiling or try to use them as insulation (unless maybe you're in a seriously desert-y dry climate)... they will sag and mold and end up causing you more work taking them down (hack hack cough cough) than you did putting them up in the first place. *Plastic* feedbags, either woven or sheet plastic, can be used to stop drafts if you are really scroungin' for something, but don't put paper anywhere it will get damp from condensate, humidity, etc.

Paper bags are EXCELLENT under mulch to keep weeds down in the garden, though.

If you have a patch of stubborn weeds (even grass) that you want to smother out so you can plant stuff there in the future, put down multiple layers of opened-out paper or plastic bags and top with a bunch of mulch or whatever to hold it down. After a season or a year or two (depending on the weed in question) the weeds will be totally or mostly gone
smile.png

I use plastic feedbags for storage, and for the abovementioned blocking of drafts, and for chucking dirt on when I'm digging fencepost holes, and as heavyduty trash bags, and all sorts of other things. I find that my demand for the plastic bags just about keeps up with the supply
smile.png
I rarely buy any feed that comes in paper bags (although I would be happy to buy more of my feed in paper, that's just not how the brand I use is packaged) but would be HAPPY to absorb more of it for the garden
smile.png

Have fun,

Pat

I have been thinking of framing some of the nice ones with poster frames. Right now I have some tacked on the garage wall just because I like them and the rest are in a big stack.
A friend so 40 miles from here has a local farmer she can buy bulk grains and whole/cracked corn from and uses some (bring your own bag deal).

I have thought about using the paper bags in between crop rows and under the litter but that would be problematic around here. They tend to put a layer of plastic film between two layers of paper.

Call me paranoid, but I do not use feedbags around the birds. For one thing, it's possible to spread disease from the germs on the outside of feed bags that have been handled and stored in a feedstore. I may cram trash in them, but they are not near the birds. Just me being super-cautious. My bags are all paper, if that matters. If they were plastic like some are, I could disinfect them somewhat.

thanks for all the tips everyone,I wasn,t sure what to use the bags for,since I do have several gardens every spring the bags will be a great help there,,I am planning on cutting a hole in the bags and planting my tomatoes plants through the hole in the bag,same as mulch and a lot easier to use than the plastic that I have been using,,and I don,t have to gather it up at the end of the harvest,thanks again and if anyone has anymore ideas please submit them,I hate to throw anything away that can be recycled,,,such a waste

Back
Top Bottom