Red poop

In the last pic, one looks a bit fluffed up. I would be a bit worried about her. Lethargy, hunched posture or puffing up, not eating, runny poops that may or may not have blood, and ruffled feathers can be signs of coccidiosis. Chickens get coccidiosis from the soil and their poops, and as they grow up, they usually develop resistance between 11 and 20 weeks of age. I would leave them all together, and treat them all with Corid. It costs about $19.

In the last pic, one looks a bit fluffed up. I would be a bit worried about her. Lethargy, hunched posture or puffing up, not eating, runny poops that may or may not have blood, and ruffled feathers can be signs of coccidiosis. Chickens get coccidiosis from the soil and their poops, and as they grow up, they usually develop resistance between 11 and 20 weeks of age. I would leave them all together, and treat them all with Corid. It costs about $19.
I will do that

Today I let them outside for the first time it was sunny and they were in the grass
They pecked at the grass and some leaves and slept but only moved a few feet every while before they went to sleep
They didn’t run around or play or explore they just pecked grass hunched up and went to sleep

There tails are always dragging behind them on the ground

They had poop and food stuck to them when we got them

We got them from people with a lot of chicks and pullets in the same room

The little one is always trying to get under the larger ones wing

They eat good

They drink good

They make lots of chirps

They sleep well

Yeah, that sounds like some pretty sick chicks. I would not let them out yet, in fact I would keep them inside a warm room in the house (like a bathroom) and wash any poop off of their butts. From the way you're describing their behavior and the hunched up puffy postures in the pictures they NOT doing well. Cocci is a very likely culprit but keep a close eye on them.

Her poops have stopped having blood in them
Also is there anyway it would get in her sister if it’s not already in her
They are seperated
Could they be together outside
Any suggestions will help
These first two pictures the birds look bright and alert, but the bottom photo is a worrisome one because the posture of that bird shows illness and discomfort.

Have you been keeping their butts clean?

With coccidiosis in chicks such as yours- it’s best always to treat all.
The treatment is quite easy, not very expensive, only takes a few days and is reliably successful.

The cocci organism is shed in their feces and they walk through it, tracking it all about. That’s how it’s spread and that’s how they pick it up. The peck and scratch and injest it.

In my opinion, even if you’ve separated them they should both be treated.

Also,
may I ask what all you have fed them since you got them a few days ago?

In your original photo, I noticed scratch with wheat and cracked corn .

Are you providing grit so their gizzard can grind up that scratch? Chickens can’t process food without some type of grit. Are they getting a grower feed as well?

Did you know that chick starter crumbles and fresh water are all you really need to grow a healthy chicken? And that treats should be just a very tiny part of their diet if at all at this age (less than 10%)

These first two pictures the birds look bright and alert, but the bottom photo is a worrisome one because the posture of that bird shows illness and discomfort.

The treatment is quite easy, not very expensive, only takes a few days and is reliably successful.

The cocci organism is shed in their feces and they walk through it, tracking it all about. That’s how it’s spread and that’s how they pick it up. The peck and scratch and injest it.

Also,

Are you providing grit so their gizzard can grind up that scratch? Chickens can’t process food without some type of grit. Are they getting a grower feed as well?

Did you know that chick starter crumbles and fresh water are all you really need to grow a healthy chicken? And that treats should be just a very tiny part of their diet if at all at this age (l

Also,

Did you know that chick starter crumbles and fresh water are all you really need to grow a healthy chicken? And that treats should be just a very tiny part of their diet if at all at this age (less than 10%)

The last picture where she has her feathers out and is hunched up is because she just woke up sorry I didn’t mean to post that picture

I have been feeding them adult feed that we feed our older chickens outside
It is not scratch
Will take picture of bag tomorrow morning
Will get them on grower feed in the morning

I have not been providing grit
I will start to

We have been keeping their butts clean

How do I keep them from stepping in their feces?

Do they need a lamp?

How do I keep them in the bathroom?

How can I help them and change what I’m doing I feel awful that I haven’t been giving them what they need to be healthy chicks Please help i want them to feel better and don’t want them to be unhealthy

Will get the corid as soon as we can
Thank you for your amazing help

Things chicks need to grow and thrive:
Warmth
Safety
Appropriate food for their age
Fresh water
A clean environment

BYC is an incredible resource for you. It’s a supportive, collaborative effort that grows exponentially by teaching and learning.
Besides these forums, there is a section you can navigate to from the home page.

It’s called THE LEARNING CENTER

In the learning center is a whole subsection called GETTING STARTED RAISING CHICKS
You will find lots of great articles there which will help answer your questions!
Here’s a link to that section:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/getting-started-raising-chickens.21/

After you’ve read it, if you have questions just ask!

One thing though as a gentle bit of encouragement: if you have young chickens with coccidiosis, every hour that goes by, these cocci (single cell parasitic organism) are multiplying inside the birds GI tract.

Almost all animals that walk, sniff, peck, lick, or dig in soil are exposed to them. Most have some number of them within their systems, but their bodies can handle a few.

The problem is when an animal reaches a tipping point, sometimes called a threshold or load.

Usually it happens very suddenly, sometimes the intestines bleed, the animal becomes lethargic and weak and ultimately it will die.

If you put off treating your birds a couple of days, it will most likely be too late to save them.

At 9 weeks old they normally would not still be needing a heat lamp unless it was near zero. If they are acting sick however, a warm room may be good just for them to get in since sick birds are not able to control their temperatures.
@staceyj has given good links for reading about raising chicks. We all had to learn.

They didn’t run around or play or explore they just pecked grass hunched up and went to sleepThere tails are always dragging behind them on the ground
They had poop and food stuck to them when we got them
I have been feeding them adult feed that we feed our older chickens outside
I have not been providing grit
Where are you located (state/country)?
I agree with the others, get them started on the Corid, asap.

When you go to the store for the Corid, get a bag of Chick Starter and Chick Grit as well.
These little ones can eat the Chick Starter until they begin to lay eggs no problem.
They need grit to be able to process food that they eat.

Hope they feel better soon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom