Red pullet with dark legs and a single comb...what breed?

rodeorulz

Chirping
Sep 27, 2017
rural Casper, WY
Any idea what breed she might be? She came as a substitute with my order from Murray McMurray hatchery and I can't seem to figure out what she is. Is it possible she is an Easter Egger? I know she doesn't have a pea comb or muffs and a beard, but that seems to be the only real possibility as all the other red feathered breeds they have are suppose to have yellow legs/shanks. She is a little over 14 weeks in these pictures. Thanks for your help!

0927071155.jpg

0927071201.jpg

0927071204c.jpg

She looks a lot like my Red Star (aka isa brown)...it's a sex link breed. She came from a hatchery in Ohio. I think she's rhode island red crossed with white leghorn. The only thing throwing me off is the dark colored legs...and my gal has white tail feathers where yours has black...she's so cute though! Here's mine at week 15:
image.jpeg

Yes, the dark legs is definitely what has got me stumped! That's why I'm wondering if she is maybe an Easter Egger that is expressing one/some of the other breeds that may have been used in their Easter Egger mixes. I have some Easter Egger roos that we hatched that don't have muffs or beards, so I know that's possible...just not sure about the single comb. I do have a roo that is a Barred Rock/Easter Egger/Buff Orpington cross that we hatched that has muffs and a beard but also has a single comb and white(?) legs...but I know for a fact he is a mutt and knew he'd be a nice surprise :D But this hen from the hatchery...I did not expect to be so stumped! lol

And just because...here is my handsome mutt roo:
IMG_7820_crop_resize.JPG

And here's one of the Easter Eggers w/o muffs and beard (the one in the back) as well as an Easter Egger hen in the middle and a roo with muffs and beard in the front...all 3 from the same hatch:
IMG_7855_crop2.JPG

I thought about that too junebuggena but since I'm pretty sure the Golden Laced Wyandotte or the Blue Cochin I received was my free rare chick I'd be shocked, but very thrilled, if it was a Whiting True Blue!

I don't know what breeds their Red Stars or Red Rangers are made up of, but I'm guessing those could be a possibility too? It is just those dark legs...!

I did post in their forum, so we'll see if I ever hear back from them...it would sure be nice :)

Back
Top Bottom