Red Sex-link, Golden Sex-link, Golden Comet, Red Star...same breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always have my Golden Comets!!....Been raising them since I was a kid!
They r mixed breeds of RIR & White Leg Horns!

GREAT Meat Producers & Large Lite Brown egg Layers...my girls gives me 1 egg each day from each of them!!
So I hatch sum out for meat every year & replacements every 2 years!

They r very docile!!...eazy to take care of & handle!!

UR GONNA LUV THEM!!!
Golden Comets ain't a R.I. Red /White Leghorn cross if they were then they would be solid White and they would be unable to be color sexed.

Note the breed is a Leghorn not Leg Horn.
wink.png

Golden Comets ain't a R.I. Red /White Leghorn cross if they were then they would be solid White and they would be unable to be color sexed.

wink.png
gold sex links do have Leghorn blood in them(but not as simple as R.I.R x LH cross), at least the most productive ones like ISA Browns, the hatchery ones may not have leghorn blood in them, but again they may not be as productive as ISA Browns

https://www.google.com.ni/search?q=...pw.r_qf.&fp=fb107b3c941a4cb4&biw=1280&bih=634

Correct in that they are not a simple White LH x R.I. Red cross but like most large fowl hatchery birds they have Leghorn blood bred into them somewhere to make a more productive bird.

Chris

All these super, brown egg layers, that the genetics corps have produced very, very likely have Leghorn, and possibly Brown Leghorn on the male side. Since so many of the genetics companies are European, who knows what lines they've used, over there, that we don't know or see much of here in North America.

One thing is for certain, at least to me. All these hatcheries who state on their websites that this RSL or that RSL are a "cross between an RIR and a RIW".

I cringe every time I read that re-quoted here on BYC like it was gospel of some kind. The Rhode Island White? Really? So, where are these RIW birds so we can buy them? hahahahhaha

wink.png
My family has been breeding them for years....sorry to disagree with you!
My Uncle Billie has a poultry farm in Kentucky...White Leghorns & Rhode Island Reds is all he has!!...My Cousin Danny in Georgia & him mixed the 2 breeds n got what they call r "Golden Comets/Red Star" ...depending on the depth of the color gene!

That is where I got my girls!!

Sorry, bout the "space" in Leghorn....guess I failed Engish 101...lol
lau.gif

gold sex links do have Leghorn blood in them(but not as simple as R.I.R x LH cross), at least the most productive ones like ISA Browns, the hatchery ones may not have leghorn blood in them, but again they may not be as productive as ISA Browns

https://www.google.com.ni/search?q=...pw.r_qf.&fp=fb107b3c941a4cb4&biw=1280&bih=634
Thank U!!
wink.png

Correct in that they are not a simple White LH x R.I. Red cross but like most large fowl hatchery birds they have Leghorn blood bred into them somewhere to make a more productive bird.

Chris
I dont know too much of the genetics of them....just know I get them from family!! ....& they r GREAT BIRDS!!
big_smile.png

Yes pretty much! Ok.. Only I know is Golden nuggets or comets or golden sex links are same breeds. It is crossbred from white leghorn male with rhode island reds hen become golden comet :) I have been done doing that before.. :) If doing opposite way with rhode island red rooster with white leghorn female. It isnt working that way and ll lay only white eggs... Golden nuggets lay light brown eggs.

Yes pretty much! Ok.. Only I know is Golden nuggets or comets or golden sex links are same breeds. It is crossbred from white leghorn male with rhode island reds hen become golden comet :) I have been done doing that before.. :) If doing opposite way with rhode island red rooster with white leghorn female. It isnt working that way and ll lay only white eggs... Golden nuggets lay light brown eggs.
Yup!...Agree with u a 100%!!
goodpost.gif

I get Extra Large lite brown eggs....u can see them on my profile pix!
Just hatched sum out (2nd generation)....got sum golden & white chicks.....One beautiful white rooster too!!
Guess he got more of his Grand-father's gene!!
We call him Rudy....cuz he was the runt & last one to hatch!!
lol.png

the red sex link and the red star are the same breed up of rhoad island red male and the delaware female.
the gold sex link is from the rhoad island male and the rhode island white female that also is a layer of brown eggs.
the golden comet is a cross from the new hampshre red male and the white rock female.
thumbsup.gif

Cackle Hatchery sells Rhode Island White chicks. On their breed descriptions they mention what cross their sex link chicken are comprised of. That hatchery crosses Production Red and RIW for Cinnamon Queen and RIR and RIW for Golden Comets. Red Sex Links are different still. Moderator Fred should know this.

Cackle Hatchery sells Rhode Island White chicks. On their breed descriptions they mention what cross their sex link chicken are comprised of. That hatchery crosses Production Red and RIW for Cinnamon Queen and RIR and RIW for Golden Comets. Red Sex Links are different still. Moderator Fred should know this.
Just cause they call them Rhode Island Whites doesn't mean they really are. They say themselves on the site that RIW are a rose combed breed, but their stock is single combed. To me, that means it's not really a RIW.

Red sex link is a generic term for multiple crosses of a gold factor rooster over a silver factor hen. I can make red sex links in my backyard all day long. Comet, Queen, Star, etc are simply marketing terms coined by different hatcheries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom