Red Stars and Speckled Eggs

AMBene

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
Slidell
My chickens have just started laying. My 2 red stars are laying speckled eggs. Light brown with all of these white speckles. If you happen to get the egg just as it is layed, they kind of wipe off, so I know it has something to do secretions from the egg tract, but as the chickens get lay more, do the speckles get less. They really are kind of funky looking eggs and as I am selling enough eggs to pay for their keep, I want attractive eggs to attract buyers.

Any thoughts or experiences with the same?

Last edited:
I just embrace the speckles because I think they are pretty darn cool looking. Natural eggs are not always perfect, that's why I like them. If I wanted perfect eggs, then I'd go to the store for the product they call "eggs".

Thank you and I want natural eggs. I am feeding mine organic and supplementing 5-10% of their diet with flax seed to enrich the Omega 3. Just had never seen any chickens eggs like that. They look like someone sprayed white paint splatters on them. Not sure if people would be okay with that.

Be patient with me!!!! I am very new at this. These are my first chickens and my husband and I are very excited about them. We love our ladies and they show affection for us. Very wonderful!.

The speckled eggs, if sold at a "Farmer's Market", would out-sell all others by far! Whatever you're doin, keep-it-up. Your girls are trying to BLESS YOU!

Welsummers and Marans eggs if freshly laid, you can rub the color off.

My red sex link pullet laid these eggs:
IMG_1156.jpg

I get the most speckles from my welsummer eggs, although they are more freckled (tiny speckles). They are the 2 eggs on the right. Center and left eggs are Marans:
SDC10833.jpg

Back
Top Bottom