Red Tailed Hawk

mountain_momma

Hatching
Aug 29, 2017
IMG_5613.JPG
IMG_5614.JPG
IMG_5615.JPG
IMG_5616.JPG
Hello! We have had a red tailed hawk flying around our property, and recently I noticed one of my hens missing with no sign of her. Then yesterday, I saw the hawk in the yard, then he took off. This afternoon, I noticed another hen missing. I noticed the rooster was making some noise earlier but didn't think anything of it. The only sign of today's missing hen is some feathers. What should I do? My chickens free range daily. Should I keep them cooped up for a few days in hopes the hawk will get bored and leave? Any advice would be appreciated!!!

:welcome

I would keep them cooped up for a little bit. What does your predator protection look like?
I'm sorry about your missing chickens :(

The missing rules out the hawk unless missing birds less than 2 lbs. Lots of feathers like that more typical of a fox. Expand your search radius to about 100 yards. If fox, then feather trails will lead in same general direction and attacks will be about same time each day.

The missing rules out the hawk unless missing birds less than 2 lbs. Lots of feathers like that more typical of a fox. Expand your search radius to about 100 yards. If fox, then feather trails will lead in same general direction and attacks will be about same time each day.
X2!
Edited to add: Whatever your predator, it WILL be back. Once a predator gets an easy meal, they always return for more.

To add to mountain_momma's question (this is her husband) ... the next morning, when the sun came up and I came home from work, I followed the feathered trail as far as I could. Over the length of 50 yards into the woods I found more feathers, a wing, a leg. The trail seemed to end at a base of a large tree. I walked around the area a good bit to see if I could pick up the trail again but that was it. No other signs, no tracks. No signs of something climbing the tree either. We've since left the chickens in their coop and small run. But I really hate leaving them in there. The usually free range from sun up to sun down. We live in the smoky mountains and I know there are plenty of predators. This has been our first issue with predators since we've started keeping chickens 2 years ago. Any suggestions would be great or ideas to what it may have been that has now taken 2 chickens.
(I should note that the chickens are safe in the coop/run. Nothing's getting in there with the exception of a black bear if he was really determined. The only time we're having issues is when they are free ranging.)

You can let the birds out in afternoon when your home until near dark when they go into coop then close them up.

We use a very large old dog kennel for near free range experience. It's not at all predator proof and we loose a few birds every year. Last year was to a hawk and racoon and this year a mink and believe the one past week was a racoon again. Two of those were due to closing up the coop later than normal- both times racoon. We've enough birds and hatch every year that's not a big loss and agreeable to the benefits of range offered. We all must make our own decision as to what risk and loss we can live with.

You may have one critter like a hawk making kill and eating fill before another like a raccoon or oppossum comes in a works on rest of carcass after dark. i have seen that many times where hawk works carcass during day and owl does it at night.

View attachment 1124241 View attachment 1124244 View attachment 1124246 View attachment 1124247 Hello! We have had a red tailed hawk flying around our property, and recently I noticed one of my hens missing with no sign of her. Then yesterday, I saw the hawk in the yard, then he took off. This afternoon, I noticed another hen missing. I noticed the rooster was making some noise earlier but didn't think anything of it. The only sign of today's missing hen is some feathers. What should I do? My chickens free range daily. Should I keep them cooped up for a few days in hopes the hawk will get bored and leave? Any advice would be appreciated!!!
i know u not suppose to shoot red-tail hawks,is there a way u can trap them? i had trouble with hawks also but do what u think is best,try a scare crow,sometimes it works

Back
Top Bottom