Redoing the bathroom - Your opinions needed! *!*Update pg 6*!*

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
My SO and I decided its time to slowly start revamping our house to put it on the market. Were not moving for another couple years at least but... its just time.

We are starting with our master bath. The red is just water stained, chipped, and old.
I want something different, yet, something if you walk into you think "I could buy this".
You know when youre looking for a place to buy and just the whole feel of the house throws you off? Or grown at the puple wall youre GOING to have to paint over?
Yeah, trying to avoid that
lol.png

The master bath I want to flow with the bedroom (which Im either going to do in a [not too dark] dark brown and a more turquoisey green).

Anyone have any good art, picture, location, jewelry photo references?
Im open to any color pallet! If you know of something you have always liked.... Lets see it!
smile.png

I plan on repainting the gold light fixtures with some kind of textured spray paint..
Colors?

Also.. I would like advice on what KIND of paint to use in a bathroom..
My kids takes bathes and they.. splash (not so much that they are older but.. still) and you can see streaks down the walls. When you try to rub the toothpaste splatter some of the color comes off with...

Any advice, ideas, etc will be appreciated!!

Onto the pictures of my bathroom:
Entrance:
Bathroom2.jpg

Window:
Bathroom1.jpg

Across the window the potty:
Bathroom3.jpg

And the sinks (you can see the shower in the mirror:
Bathroom4.jpg

Last edited:
Well..wow that red is going to hard to cover
lol.png
so a good coat or 2 of kilz to start with. Then I would use 2 colors...possibly pale greens (supposed to more relaxing for a bathroom) and get egg shell paint or a satin finish which is easier to clean, and paint all over with the darker of the two and then using a textured roller paint again with the lighter color. Comes out looking fantastic!
My master bath is pale lavender and whoever did it also then went over it and "stenciled) some feathers (about 8 inch long) all over it.
At least they look like feathers to me
lol.png
possibly the painter was trying to do leaves
Masterbath.jpg

Last edited:
Yay! How fun!

I love colors and decorating and painting and... gosh I wish I owned the house I'm living in now because I would have so much fun!

They always say to go with a neutral pallet when thinking of selling your house, and to some people that means off-white but I do not think so! If that were my giant master bathroom here's something I would consider.

I looked at some of the colors on Lowes and I really like these

Dune:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_93707-4-W40...product_quantity_sold|1&facetInfo=Browns/Tans

and Willow Tree:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_144549-86-C...product_quantity_sold|1&facetInfo=Browns/Tans

If I were you, I would paint all of the walls the lighter Dune, and paint the back wall with the window and the little alcove wall behind the toilet willow tree.

The reason I chose those colors is that they are neutral, yet still warm, relaxing and inviting. I wanted to find a brown that had a little bit of green and a touch of gold. Everyone's monitor is different, mine is calibrated pretty well- because I'm a graphic designer so color accuracy is very important- so it may look different to you than it does for me.

I would put something on either side of the sink, I think it would help to expand that area, essentially going from wall to bath to make one continuous line making the room look even larger. Maybe something like this:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60141182
Then you could put rolled up towels and wash rags and little toiletry items on the shelves.

I think the light fixtures could look nice an espresso color, or even straight up black. Or black with a few spritzes of a dark brown on them to give it some added depth, perhaps making them look more expensive. Same goes for the drawer pulls.

A lot of painters would recommend going with at least a satin finish in a bathroom, but for optimal water-proofing you'd want to go with a semigloss. (I'm not a huge fan of shiny walls, so I'd use Satin). Latex works just fine, and is so much easier to work with and redo if necessary.

Hope this helps, and thanks for giving me an afternoon break!

A friend of mine just re-did her bath and went with a very pale mint color on the walls; slightly off-white on ceiling and and did some stenciled vines in a darker green shade around the top of the walls and down the sides by the shower and sink mirror. Looks very nice.

Im thinking about doing the bedroom in the color of the left rope spool.
Honestly, Im leaning towards the one on the bottom, but I LOVE the one on top! Is that too impractical (If you were looking to buy the house would you say, 'WOW.. eesh', in your head?)?

If I were to go with these colors should I do the bathroom in a golder/tan??
turquoise+palette.jpg

Oh definately go for a lighter color than that.....and I agree with velvet on the light fixtures.
I think the light fixtures could look nice an espresso color, or even straight up black. Or black with a few spritzes of a dark brown on them to give it some added depth, perhaps making them look more expensive. Same goes for the drawer pulls.​

I like the one in the middle with the left top as an accent color. I think the left top would read as dark as that red on a wall. If you are redoing fixtures as well, I would take the vanity to the wall, with two sinks and either a makeup desk or as a his and her with one higher. I think it would look better and less stranded in the space.

Quote:
You have some pretty good ideas!
EXCEPT... Im trying to kinda stay away from the light/sandy brown. I had it in my dining and kitchen and current bedroom and its just depressing me now

Back
Top Bottom