Repainting Coops... Coordinating Door Color? (Newer Pics,post #47)

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I have three coops. The main coop and the breeders coop are painted a green-gray with white trim and the original part of the main coop has a burgandy pop door. I want to paint them darker colors that will coordinate better with the little Firetower coop,which is done in forest green with burgandy trim. To help you, below are the coops as they are now.
I did get some paint, which I thought was burgandy, but it's has a more purplish tone than red in it. Still, I'm going with it anyway because I think it will look fine with the dark green of the body of the coops. I have no idea what to do with the pop door in the original 8x8 side of the Clutch Hutch. Was wondering if I should leave white trim and the door the garnet color or maybe paint the trim of the pop door garnet with a navy blue door, like an accent color.

DCP_2244.jpg

DCP_7771.jpg

This last pic of the original part of the coop shows the pop door best.

DCP_2978.jpg

Last edited:
I'd go with the opposit colors you painted the fire tower coop.

Green trim and pop door. That dark red, garnet?, for the building itself.

I also think the green grey is pretty. What if you trimmed with the paint you painted the fire tower and paint the pop doors/all doors the color of the trim on fire tower. Or the opposite order

ETA--looked again, lol. If you arent going to change the color of the whole coop, I would go with the red trim and green popdoors. I think that will make the colors pop

Last edited:
First of all, your chickens have a beautiful view-lucky them!

Secondly, I like your idea of painting the pop door trim garnet with the door itself the navy. I'm a big fan of color so anywhere it can be added sounds good to me!

Well, I'm definitely going with the garnet red trim. An entire "red" building is a bit much for me (honestly, I don't like red, but bluish reds are okay) I have been working on that trim today. Haven't bought any other color yet. The Color Place at Walmart had a paint swatch that is called Dark Ivy and it seems to closely match the paint of the Firetower. The dark green will make the garnet trim look less purplish, I think. I just didn't know what the heck to do with the little pop door. I think that I've seen the combo of forest green, burgandy and with a navy blue accent door somewhere, but wasnt sure if I dreamed it or not.

I'm going to eventually repaint our house in those colors, I think, though I'll forgo the garnet in favor of a real burgandy. Seems it will go well with the woodsy property. The catch is that I hate painting and have joint swelling that makes it really hard to do work like this.

easttxchick, thanks. I like the private, mountain location.

Been painting the white trim with the Victorian Garnet paint, though I haven't bought any dark green for the body of the coops yet. This is the old green-gray color it's been for years. What do you think? I think I'll paint the white trim around the pop door with the garnet and paint the center panel of it a navy blue. Had to replace some rotten trim (dirt washes down the hill against the building, but we dug out a moat in front of the building and will have to do more to keep that away). The trim needs another coat, so keep that in mind and visualize the garnet trim against dark ivy green.

DCP_3837.jpg

It looks a bit odd to me, but I've been looking at the same color scheme for almost 4 years, LOL. The reason I took a pic was to really see it and sometimes pictures give me a different perspective. I do sort of like the garnet with the green/gray color, but it needs painting again anyway, so thought I'd more match the Firetower, maybe darker or more sage green. Have to do the other coop the same colors, so I have alot of painting to do! If the weather would just cooperate....

Cynthia,
I would go ahead and try to match the fire tower. I think it looks very "Arts and Crafts", and really like that color combination.

A mission style nest box and you're done!

Very nice coop...no matter what color you choose.

Good Luck!
Shawn

Thanks, Shawn! I like Arts and Crafts, but never really thought of this coop that way. I appreciate your input! Hopefully, this is the last time we have to paint these coops for years! I think I've repainted them every single year since they've been built.

Back
Top Bottom