Repeated mature hen issues, is it me? the supplier?

Doc7

Songster
5 Years
May 12, 2018
Central Virginia
I've been very happy with chicks from the only online vendor I've used. I like that they allow to pick single breeds in orders of 4-6 per year (Cackle, for example, must be ordered in the "small town" 3 pack or otherwise has a minimum 3 per breed). I like my flock of 7-9 chickens to all be different breeds for naming, aesthetic, and monitoring purposes.

My oldest hens have reached 2 years old, so not very old. Of those 6, one last summer at age 1.5 I put down because she was standing around drinking rapidly all day for a few days in a row and was only squirting out a yellowish liquid when she was going to the bathroom. This spring at just under 2 years of age one started laying soft eggs (break in your hand) and after 3 weeks of this I sent her to the stew pot. Finally, my Easter egger (so 3rd of the 6) hasn't laid an egg in a couple weeks and I witnessed a bloody soft egg leave her vent 2 nights ago, blood and yolk dripping down her backside and I put her down last night.

I feed Oyster shell free choice year round. I feed Flock Raiser feed. I always have new chicks in development from May to September (not laying) and then with molting in the winter, I figured Flock Raiser + Oyster shell was the way to make sure I dont need to worry about who eats what feed (layer feed vs non layer feed).

Hens are out in the run all day every day and free range the yard a few times a week. They get grit and oyster shell free choice in coop and run. Coop has 4 sq ft per bird and run 10 sq ft per bird. Thanks for any advice. I just see people who have 5-7 year old hens laying and I don't even think my last 2 year old is laying any eggs, unless they changed colors slightly.

I was talking to a reputable hen owner recently-, She said the same thing, that she has raised chickens for a very long time and she is beginning to have lots more issues with her newest hens - she gets hers from breeder companies as well. Maybe hatching out our own would eventually produce a healthier hen?

the ones that I feel had egg problems were. Buff Orpington, Easter egger, and New Hampshire red.
Hens bred for high production commonly have reproductive problems. They’re not bred for longevity. Sometimes they may only lay regularly for the first year or two before dropping off in egg production.

Back
Top Bottom