Reptile heat light in coop?

ValerieJ

On the other side
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Jul 24, 2016
Washington State
For all the wrong reasons I am raising 4 chicks in the fall. I want to move them out to a coop in a few weeks, but I will need to heat it for them. Has anyone used one of these lights for heating a coop? How did it work out? I'm going to use my smallest coop and don't think I will be able to fit a mama heating pad or a heat plate unless I heat the entire coop. Any suggetions? I have used a red heat lamp before and had it break in the coop. Glass everywhere!!! :barnie We're not doing that again! These heat lamps seem much sturdier.

Zacro 60W Reptile Heat Lamp with One Digital Thermometer, Infrared Ceramic Heating Non-Light Lamps Emitter 110V (Black)

I frequently raise chicks outdoors in the fall. How old are your birds?
I have chicks ranging from 10 to 30 days of age out there now. That must be a pretty tiny coop if it won't hold a brooder plate.
I have frequently used ceramic heat emitters in the range of 75 to 150 watt.

I have chicks ranging from 10 to 30 days of age out there now. That must be a pretty tiny coop if it won't hold a brooder plate.
Yes, it's only 3x4, or 3x3 if you exclude the nest boxes. I normally use it for sickbay or aggression separation. It is too small for my 4 littles for that matter, but just need it long enough to be able to integrate them with the big girls, so they should still be small. They are 6 weeks right now. My sweeter heater is 42" long. I'm considering the mama heating pad idea because if they don't want to be under it, they can stand on top of it,, but the only place for it is where the only perch is. Not sure why I bought this little coop. It's a prefab. Never again.

Does it get down to freezing where you are in the fall? It normally doesn't here, but it has been lately. I'm afraid of taking them out of their warm little brooder and into the cold.

The ceramic heat bulbs only warm the area directly under them. I use them for brooding chicks this way. The ambient temperature outside of the bulb area will not be warned much, if at all.

The ceramic heat bulbs only warm the area directly under them. I use them for brooding chicks this way. The ambient temperature outside of the bulb area will not be warned much, if at all.
Well, that wont do. I guess I should buy another sweeter heater, smaller than the one I have.

Back
Top Bottom