Requesting advice for converting a shed into a Coop and building a run

Then I could just clean it out and hose it down.
No need to ever 'hose' anything out, you want things to say as dry as possible inside the coop or you'll have odor and maybe mold and other organism growth issues.
A concrete floor is pretty good for scraping out without the need for water
How you manage your manure is key to how to bed the floor.
I use a poop board to remove much manure daily(goes to a friends compost),
then dry shavings on the floor changed out twice a year.

Any chance you could enlarge that coop, push it out a couple feet on the run side?

I'm sure its possible to extend out the coop, but not without major construction. I'm not willing to add that right now. What I can do however is enlarge on the side. So inside the coop I will have 16 feet by 4 feet and then 4 feet by 4 feet for the storage and build 4 nesting boxes so I can collect the eggs from "outside" the coop. A door on the left and the nesting boxes on the right.

I bought Thomson's water seal to protect the inside wood where you see blue... This structure needs to last as it is connected to my garage. Is that a bad idea? What can I do to protect the wood?

I bought 2x4's to make the partition and I also found 12foot x 26 inch corrugated plastic sheets to use for my run on clearance for $5 apiece. Regular price was $21 so I feel like I scored. :)

unnamed.jpg

I have one 36" wide nest box for 9 RIR's works well. I've seen up to 4 in there from time to time. No fighting over a favorite nest box and always room for one more. I would just put a 24" nest box where you show 4 through the wall. If you make it a roll out nest box like mine you get clean eggs. You would not need the lid like I have just a box with a sloping floor and a dividing wall with a 3" gap for the eggs to roll out.

Also you should put your location in your profile.

nbmk3-08.jpg nbmk3-09.jpg

JT

I have one 36" wide nest box for 9 RIR's works well. I've seen up to 4 in there from time to time. No fighting over a favorite nest box and always room for one more. I would just put a 24" nest box where you show 4 through the wall. If you make it a roll out nest box like mine you get clean eggs. You would not need the lid like I have just a box with a sloping floor and a dividing wall with a 3" gap for the eggs to roll out.

Also you should put your location in your profile.

View attachment 1308771 View attachment 1308772

JT
JT at what angle is the sloping floor. I’m looking to build a coop for the first time instead of just putting them together as I go. I’m going to incorporate a nest box in the new one and was looking for ideas that worked.
It will actually be two coops with alternating gardens.
Pete

Back
Top Bottom