Rescue Duck. Please don’t chastise me.

It is so kind of you to look after his well being. Maybe keep trying until you catch him and quarantine him? Poor guy.

These things always happen right before I leave for time away, my kids have fall break so we will be gone Thursday and coming back Sunday. The neighbor girl will be caring for my ducks and chickens and I don’t think it’s a good idea bringing in a foreign duck when I’m not there to make sure all is well. Babysitter is 10. Maybe I’ll try again Sunday when I get home, it just makes me so sad to think of him all alone, cold and starving this winter.

It's not that hard to separate a drake from the rest of the flock if need be. @onaharley was so very helpful to me in creating a little drake door within my existing pen. and if you've already got a fenced-in area you can just get a small amount of fence and make a little run within your run for the drake so he can see everyone but not rape and pillage if that becomes a problem. Let me know if you need help with this. I'd be glad to tell you the tips I've learned from others.

It's not that hard to separate a drake from the rest of the flock if need be. @onaharley was so very helpful to me in creating a little drake door within my existing pen. and if you've already got a fenced-in area you can just get a small amount of fence and make a little run within your run for the drake so he can see everyone but not rape and pillage if that becomes a problem. Let me know if you need help with this. I'd be glad to tell you the tips I've learned from others.

Good advice!

Awww poor guy! Hoping you're able to catch him! I think I would take a buddy with me next time to try and catch him. If you lure him up to you, have the other person stand between the duck and pond. Ducks are impossible to catch if they don't want to be!!

My 7 year old is usually my partner in crime when we need to catch our own ducks! But all those mallards were very distracting to my bird lovin’ kid who was losing focus and chasing the mallards instead. I think I need some help from an adult that doesn’t have a 1 minute attention span when it comes to duck rescue!

Awww poor guy! Hoping you're able to catch him! I think I would take a buddy with me next time to try and catch him. If you lure him up to you, have the other person stand between the duck and pond. Ducks are impossible to catch if they don't want to be!!
boy, are you right about that! I went by myself to the park pond to catch a little runner armed with mealworms, and all kinds of treats. I could have loaded up the geese into my car if I wanted to but never came close to catching the little runner. Possibly a big fishing net might help too but definitely, another person or two would be most helpful.

I had a similar question regarding feral Mallards. I was going to catch these two drakes at this park close nearby when they were in molt. I tried looking up if I could and it said nothing, all I have is a single duck book from Australia that says it’s illegal to capture them in Victoria unless you have a license or something. They’re feral surely you’re allowed to catch them, as they’ve been breeding with a native species of duck (the pacific black duck) and now there are no pure ones left.

boy, are you right about that! I went by myself to the park pond to catch a little runner armed with mealworms, and all kinds of treats. I could have loaded up the geese into my car if I wanted to but never came close to catching the little runner. Possibly a big fishing net might help too but definitely, another person or two would be most helpful.

I came with a net! It was as if not only the Pekin had been warned about it but ALL the wild ducks. The second I put my hand on that net, they all booked it. I think I’m better off trying to grab him with my hands!

I had a similar question regarding feral Mallards. I was going to catch these two drakes at this park close nearby when they were in molt. I tried looking up if I could and it said nothing, all I have is a single duck book from Australia that says it’s illegal to capture them in Victoria unless you have a license or something. They’re feral surely you’re allowed to catch them, as they’ve been breeding with a native species of duck (the pacific black duck) and now there are no pure ones left.

Couldn’t tell you about law in Australia! I recently read a comment from someone from New Zealand and it was totally fine to care for wild ducks there. Not here, it’s against the law, but the domestic ducks who are set free are in the gray area. I’ve read you need to be careful picking up the domestic ones depending on the jurisdiction. Which is pretty messed up, the domestic ducks typically don’t have a chance in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom