Rescued Quail! In need of help/advice

Marty Ranoda

Hatching
Jul 13, 2020
Recently rescued Quail from a bad situation. They’d previously lived in a small storage bin, on a diet of Quinoa and oatmeal. We bought them a large enclosure along with chick starter. 14 of them, a few of which are buttons. I understand that they’ll need to be separated as soon as possible. I’ve only had chickens and ducks before this, so I lack experience but I needed them out of their previous situation. My biggest concern now is the lack of feathers on a few of the chicks, especially the buttons. Will they be able to grow back? How do I stop them from plucking? When can they go outside? The previous owner said they were around a week old but they’ve avoided the heat lamp and (Of the healthy ones) their feathers have come in nicely. How many bigger quail can I house together? How can I tell male from female? I’ve heard button quail are better in pairs, but is that only in terms of breeding? 2 of the bigger quail are extremely skittish and fly whenever I clean out their enclosure, what can I do to calm them down? What age should I separate them? Finally, what type of Quail are the bigger ones? I assumed they were Japanese quail but I’ve heard phrases like “bobwhites” thrown around, is that just the color variation?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Welcome to quaildom! Japanese (Coturnix), bobwhites, and buttons are three different species. I’m sorry I can’t see your photo.
  • Yes they should be separated as soon as you can
  • Yes the feathers should grow back
  • The Coturnix are fine as a large group
  • Buttons do well in groups as well unless you’re selectively breeding
  • Make and female quail usually have some color/pattern distinctions (I’ll try another computer later to hopefully see your pic)
  • Sometimes quail can just be flighty. but hopefully they will get used to you soon. Treats and slow movements help a little
Great -- I switched computers and can see now. Your big ones are coturnix (Japanese) quail. Not nearly as flighty as bobs, whew! They should calm down a lot as soon as they are comfy and settled.

Last edited:
Welcome to quaildom! Japanese (Coturnix), bobwhites, and buttons are three different species. I’m sorry I can’t see your photo.
  • Make and female quail usually have some color/pattern distinctions (I’ll try another computer later to hopefully see your pic)
  • Sometimes quail can just be flighty. but hopefully they will get used to you soon. Treats and slow movements help a little
Great -- I switched computers and can see now. Your big ones are coturnix (Japanese) quail. Not nearly as flighty as bobs, whew! They should calm down a lot as soon as they are comfy and settled.
Thank you so much!

while buttons are more flighty, you can keep buttons and coturnix quail together as long as your enclosure has enough space (approximately 1 sq ft per bird) with hideaways etc and is escape and predator proof. You’ll want your male:female ratio for coturnix at 1:5 and buttons if kept together about the same watching for any aggression or overbreeding. buttons like temps at or above 50* while coturnix can tolerate much lower temps.

They all look to be a few weeks of age. Because of their feather loss, you probably won't be able to tell all of their genders for a few more weeks. They will grow back their feathers though. I had a king (button) quail chick who was plucked by his mother. I separated him and when he grew back his feathers, they were the male colouring. I moved him in with his three adult sisters and they finished raising him.

Back
Top Bottom