Rescued Roo from next door (now known as Larry) (pics on post #30)

I've been thinking about that too, the rats picking on the chickens. Maybe it is something else. Looks like they all have red bare patches covering their entire undersides, and under their wings. I know "Larry" does have stumps at the ends of his wings, with dried blood on the ends. No bugs, no worms in his poop. I just don't know what to think about these red bare areas.

I will talk to them about their rats. They say their animal lovers and the chickens are pets. But he only goes out there to feed and water them. I'm thinking maybe that he's from Puerto Rico , his views on chickens is way different than mine. He's been here over 4 years and barely speaks any English. He's in his 60's. They're intelligent people, but I don't think they have ANY common sense, especially about chickens. He's always been very "needy", but can't even dig a hole or use a hammer.

Why would his chickens all have these large bare reddened areas on their undersides and under their wings?

i hate to ask this. is there anyway to get a pic of his yard from your view? i'm wondering how bad the situation in his yard might actually be. are they really messy neighbors? collectors of 'garbage', etc?

I can get a picture. They are clean people, their house is fairly new. The coop is 8 months old, 8 x 12 feet, he covers up the window at night. It has no protection around the bottom from anything digging in. There's a pen. He had the coop built where there's shade (Florida). There's no mess, the feed is in the garage. All these chickens are about 8 months old, bought at the feed store, various breeds.

I'll get a pic. And if I see him tomorrow, I'll try to get pics of the chickens.

We live in a nice neighborhood where there are many many pidgeon owners who have coops near the size of their homes. So I'm sure there's rats around here. And I'm sure he has alot with all the leftovers he gives those chickens. Like I said, there's no common sense over there.

Last edited:
I just read on another post about putting 1 plain generic aspirin per gallon of water (made fresh daily) to help meaties with their heart issues. Maybe you could give him aspirin water for several days while you're trying to heal him. Thank goodness Larry has you!
smile.png

cornish dont make good pets and they cant free range... at a certain point (which ihappens pretty young age compared with normal backyard breeds) heart and leg problems recquire culling/euthanasia. If you are not going to eat him, why dont you talk to a sympathetic vet, explain the situation and get a sufficient amount of barbituate to put him to "sleep" (ie. euthanize)... spoil him in the house and give him a kind and loving send off a week or so before... that is what I would do at any rate (and ppl who know me will know I NEVER suggest euthanization unless it is in the birds best interests)
(((hugs))) Explain to your neighbors about meat breeds and that they must NEVER buy them as free range pets.

The first chickens I ever had I got at the local feed store on chick day.I bought 4 white rock's but they turned out to be meat chickens and while I lost two fairly quickly one pullet lasted about 6 months and one rooster lived to be 13 months old before he gave out.He was a sweet thing and was never a treat to the other roosters but he tried to act like the rest of the boys.

Thanks, Jody. He still has a little bit of bleeding on his wing stumps. I guess I'll wait till I don't see the stains anymore.

Back
Top Bottom