Rescued wild roo's, they ended up being Gamecocks

GoldiLaced

Chirping
Feb 22, 2019
Colorado
I don't know if this is the right forum but they'll kill each other soon so perhaps it counts. One day I found two roosters wandering around on my land and I didn't want them to be killed by predators or fly into the backyard while my dogs were in there, so I catched them. I had to put them with my youngest birds because every other coop has a rooster in it. Well found out today from my mom's friend they're gamecocks. My mom contacted a rescue but I just want to know what actions I can take for now? How could I go about selling them if I have to? I want to avoid people who actually want gamecocks for fighting. I was going to sell them before but it's a lot more difficult now.

Pictures could help. There are a few people here who raise them and could recognize them. I once had a black copper marans rooster, and someone tried to tell me he was a game rooster, LOL.
My mom's friend used to be a vet, specifically she was really helpful with birds, and she owns a lot of chickens herself. I trust her, but also I can't send photos anyway lol, not right now at least.
Could you post a photo of them? Have you checked to see if anyone is looking for them? If they're someone else's birds and they're looking for them then you should just return them.
We have nobody around us who has chickens (and they're at an age where they crow so I was thinking I'd hear them), so I didn't think of it too much, but how would I go about checking if somebody has lost their birds? There was a facebook group for my old town but there isn't one for the one I moved to recently, so idk what else to do. First time thing

It really depends on your area. Craigslist is popular here but I live in a town of only 400 people so word gets around and would probably just ask my neighbors. You could also call whatever government body in your area picks up stay animals and ask if anyone has called looking for their roosters. If you have a local feed store you could put up a sign there too.

Back
Top Bottom