Resin shed reuse

Macchick

Chirping
May 7, 2021
We are repurposing a resin shed we had on our property ( moved in just this last fall). I found the idea from this group. I noticed that the shed has some small areas of light peeking through, not huge but of course not airtight. Is this a concern for rodents? And what about wind and drafts? Would love some insight on this. Our chicks are still inside brooder. We can’t put them out yet as the weather in Colorado is still iffy.

Generally, air "leakage" is not a problem. Drafts are a problem. Most resin sheds in factory condition have plenty of leakage (not a concern), no drafts to speak of at heights which are problems for your birds (roosting/nesting height), and essentially no ventilation. The first thing most do converting resin is cutting big holes in it, high up.

If you can see light, but not feel a breeze on a moderate wind day, you are fine, leave it alone. Rodents aren't a concern - they will just chew thru whatever sized hole they feel they need - a pencil width's visible light isn't the issue, the toilet paper roll sized hole is.

Post some pictures, we'll see if we can't offer recommends on where to locate ventilation. Also, your location (with as much specificity as you are willing to provide, so we have some idea of climate considerations), dimensions, planned flock size.

We are repurposing a resin shed we had on our property ( moved in just this last fall). I found the idea from this group. I noticed that the shed has some small areas of light peeking through, not huge but of course not airtight. Is this a concern for rodents? And what about wind and drafts? Would love some insight on this. Our chicks are still inside brooder. We can’t put them out yet as the weather in Colorado is still iffy.
As long as the gaps are less than 1/2" don't worry about them. It's good ventilation.
You undoubtedly will need to add much more ventilation.
Please provide pictures for suggestions on how and where to add it.

How many birds is this intended to house?
You need A LOT more ventilation. The plastic covers over the vents won't stop anything from chewing through if they can get up there. I guess that's one advantage of a resin shed: it's slippery.
That's also an extremely small run with no protection from snow. And cleaning it is going to be a headache, let alone trying to shovel it out when you have a snow storm. Do you intend to free range at all?

Sorry here are the photos of the run. We have a 1/4 run that opens from the top, then a 1/2 run that has a small door to the side. So far its been a breeze to clean. I have sand in the base and there is hard ware cloth on the bottom.

We live in Colorado on top of a hill and we have a breeze all the time, and there is a large tree next to the coop shading the coop. So far the coop has been nicely ventilated with a window and 2 vent holes.

I did not think about the predators chewing through the plastic covers over the vents -good point. We plan to reinforce the covers in that case and the window - what we are not sure but will come up with a solution unless someone has ideas!!

There is a light on the side of our house that shines on it at night. and its next to our home. not that that would prevent critters from attacking it. I have been monitoring the coop and it does not seems to be too hot even though we get 90 degree temp. We have shaded the runs with landscape cloth. The coop is in the shade of the house and trees in the afternoon.

I think it boils down to location of the coop and where you live as far as what works or doesn't. I am sure we will get some snow built up. but the coop is very comfy for my 6 girls - they have lots of room and roost space. They love the coop. There is room to put food and water in it if they get snowed in. But honestly where we live the snow lasts only 1 -2 days and the sun melts it.

We put the coop near our kitchen door on the side of our home to be close to the chickens, easy access to water and a short walk to the coop for chores. I have no intention of hauling across the lawn, especially in a snowstorm. So far they are quiet, and not smelly! The dry air here dries all the poops and they are easy to scoop in the sand.

Just started free ranging them, under supervision. They readily run back to the coop for safety after a little picking around. I think they love their coop.

We have cage covered vent holes on each side at top. Can add more if needed. There is a small window on one side that can be opened. And doggy door converted to let them out , we added a hook so it doesn’t fall down, but door latches close when completely closed - I currently lock them in at night and close window for safety. All 6 are roosting on the two bars and so far seem to be doing well! We are in Colorado. Nice and dry, cool at night. Expect snow drifts and wind in winter, but coop is near trees and house so some shelter. And I did not want to travel far during winter to get eggs! My husband did all the work! He used an extra piece of plywood bolted on inside to attach nest boxes. We covered them so they don’t sleep in there, as they are not mature enough to lay eggs yet!

I can't see the whole run in the pics, so I can't comment. All I know is that my run allows some 60 sq ft per chicken (and duck), and it STILL feels too small at times.

But that coop might work ok for 6. The converted shed I used was 28 sq ft. I had 8 chickens. Honestly, that was plenty of room because they only stayed in it to sleep and use the nest box. But if they need to spend more time in it, you will probably need more space.

On the plus side, you can cover smaller runs pretty easily, which will give more room for them during inclement weather.

I seen someone on here add hvac floor vents that open and close. Rosemarythyme I believe for their coop. Good idea and can easily adjust them during the winter if you get too much ventilation. Mini louver are also very simple and easy to install a hole saw and clear or grey caulking the come in many sizes.
Not mine, my floor vent covers are fixed position. I have never needed to close any ventilation other than the sliding windows during severe snowstorms where snow is blowing sideways into the window.

Do you have photos?

You should make sure that all gaps are filled up, but there should still be adequate ventilation. Roosts should be below ventilation (Ideally ventilation is as high as possible) and nesting boxes should be somewhere below the roosts, so that they don't sleep in them. If you want, you could make the top of the boxes into a poop board, and put your roost on top of that, depending on how many birds you have.

Back
Top Bottom