Respiratory distress maybe?

mrs1885

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
Van Buren Co, TN
Can someone watch this video and tell me if this is a respiratory issue? My daughter bought six chicks from the same farm and she's lost two of them. Now one of mine is doing this and I"m worried it's respiratory. When I posted photos a few days ago I was told to get rid of the cedar shavings as it can cause irritation. Could that be it? They're on shaved paper and paper towels now. I'm just worried that the few days they were in there with it may have caused problems. If that's it, I know this sounds stupid, but can I do a breathing treatment on a baby chick? I've got a nebulizer and albuterol. Yes, I'm that much of a nut!

The video isn't available. The best thing you could do for some type of CRD with chicks is use Tylan soluble powder or LS-50 soluble powder at 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. I've never had a problem with cedar and chickens and have had it mixed with pine shavings. Cedar is supposed to be toxic if they ingest it, but doubt that is the cause of the respiratory problem. Dusty shavings, smoke, molds, and fungus, can be the culprit for respiratory irritation too.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I keep checking on her and no change yet. But she's alert and moving around still. She even seemed better a bit ago and was cruising around with the other chicks. I hope I'm over reacting. Will run to town and see if I can find the stuff you've recommended in the morning. Just hope she does okay through the night.

Wonder what happened with the video. Odd. Meh. I'll worry about that tomorrow too I guess. Think I need to get to bed! Thanks for your help!

You're welcome. Keep me posted.
She's doing great now! The last couple days I kept waking up thinking she'd have passed in the night. I really thought about having her put down just because it was so horrible watching her gasping for air. So glad I stuck with it and worked through. I got up today and checked on them and couldn't even tell which was her. Took me a while to figure it out. Then I realized she's actually much smaller than the other Blk Aust's now. They were all the same size when we brought them home. At least I'll be able to tell her from the others. I've been changing bedding in there three times a day, scrubbing and disinfecting water and food dishes twice a day. Have a thermostat to make sure it's at least in the mid 90s in her little house. And it worked! Now I"m so attached after this that I'm afraid to let her outside when she's big enough. She may wind up being the house chicken! LOL

Back
Top Bottom