Respiratory infection? ONE eye watering? HELP!

SamanthaBrooke

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 28, 2011
Jefferson, GA
Hey guys,
first of all I want to thank you for your help, it really means a lot to me. My Neighbor went to get us some silkie hens this morning, me only one for my daughter, she is our only chicken, we have a duck and a turkey.

When she got home I examined them and noticed right away that two of them had a small amount of frothy watery eye on one side, did not note any breathing issues so I brought mine home and put her in a dog crate away from my other two poultry, I have been flushing her eye with saline and the frothy stuff has not returned but she keeps the eye squinted, but now I noticed she is slightly, very slightly hoarse sounding then you pick her up...I'm thinking this is respiratory but I am no vet nor do I know much about this. My question is how should I treat this? I don't have any antibiotics, only a huge variety of human ones, it is 11 PM here and I just checked her again and flushed her eye with saline, she had ate and drank all day.

She is 32 give or take weeks old, she doesn't seem lethargic and she does not have discharge from her nose and her mouth is clear, she is breathing through her nose.

Any advice is welcome but people be nice! :D

Thank you,
Samantha

If you can get ahold of TYLAN50 and a minimum size 25 guage needle w/ syringe, it would be a good idea to give her some antibiotics. Since she is new, it is better to be on the safe side....hope that helps. :)

Thank you, I opted for Tylan 50 with a 22 gauge needle in the neck skin at a dose of .25 cc since they are 8 months old and small bantam size.

Thank you again!

Okay, thank you! they are about c sized compared to seramas so I will do 1/2cc starting tomorrow. They did really well with it, not even a peep which I was relieved about, it always scares me when they cry like I did it wrong.

They are perky and only thing really is the weepy eye that is watering but I am putting erythromycin ophthalmic ointment usp 0.5% in there 2x a day in case that is a secondary infection.

LOL, I have great news, their eyes are now clear, no watering or bubbles, no more congestion! I gave them their second dose and I'll give the last tomorrow but I think I nipped it in the bud before it was able to get really bad!

Thank you so so so much for the information, I am so happy they have improved in just 24 hours, so thankful I posted on here and found Tylan and you hehe.

Again from the bottom of my heart up, I am so grateful and appreciative!

Back
Top Bottom