Respiratory problems

Jun 16, 2019
I’m desperate!
My 6 hens keep going back and forth with respiratory “stuff”
Nasal congestion/gurgley noises, discharge, sneezing, reddened waddles as well as the skin around their eyes. This is on a few days, Off a couple days, then the next one starts. I can’t afford to keep taking them to the vet one at a time. Plus, I haven’t found a poultry vet. So I’ve been researching on my own.
I am able to get Tylan powder from my vet. He may agree to give me injectable as well and I think he’s planning on ordering Denegard for me. I have been a vet tech for 30 years and have worked at avian clinics and have parrots of my own. I know how to give SQ and IM injections and give fluids to parrots and fowl.
On Friday, I want to hose the coop down, disinfect, rinse and let dry. I don’t have an alternative coop, so I’ll have to do it first thing in the am and let it air dry.
What do I do?! I currently have 2 that have horrible congestion and one of them smells rotten. They are all eating and drinking, but aren’t right. Help!

Do you have VetRX? If so get some and add to their water... or follow the other directions and soak the stuff directly into the birds mouth.
And by smells rotten, do you mean sour and vinegar like? If that’s the case you might want to check to see if their crops are swollen and impacted and have turned sour. If so that’s a whole different story.

Back
Top Bottom