ressetling homers

Oct 18, 2018
Hello, I was wondering about this because I am thinking of building a larger flying coop, but I have settled homers. So if i built a new coop in the same place, could i settle my homers to it? Or would i have to keep them prisoners? Most of them have flown

Ok thanks, my birds are settled to my current flying coop but if I built a new one and got rid of my old one, will the birds settle to the other coop if its in the same spot?
If your birds are settled to another home and have been flown there, you risk losing them if you fly them. If they are of any quality they should return to their previous home. Some may stay with you, but those will be birds with less homing instinct.

Ok thanks, my birds are settled to my current flying coop but if I built a new one and got rid of my old one, will the birds settle to the other coop if its in the same spot?

Yes, they should home to the same location, but I wouldn't fly them until they felt that the new loft was 'home'. Pigeons like all fowl hate change. When I changed loft bedding from ground corn cob to pine shavings my rollers refused to trap in for 2 days when they were finally hungry enough to do so.

I'm wondering this as I may be building another loft about ten meters away. The original loft will remain there. :pop

In this instance they will most likely home to their old loft. There were strains of birds used for delivering messages during war time from/to varying locations, but I think they were of a specific strain. They could actually be homed to new locations. I am not sure of the methods that were used.

Ok thanks, ya i was planning on keeping them locked in for a good while before even considering flying them. It will help that the old coop will be gone though. Thanks
Yes, they should home to the same location, but I wouldn't fly them until they felt that the new loft was 'home'. Pigeons like all fowl hate change. When I changed loft bedding from ground corn cob to pine shavings my rollers refused to trap in for 2 days when they were finally hungry enough to do so.

Ok thanks, ya i was planning on keeping them locked in for a good while before even considering flying them. It will help that the old coop will be gone though. Thanks

I'd also use a settling cage with landing board and trap so that they were accustomed to entering the loft.

I have settled homers. So if i built a new coop in the same place, could i settle my homers to it?
You in my opinion do not have much to worry about. They will stay in the immediate area. It may take a few days for them to adjust.
Hunger as sourland pointed out is a great motivator.
Rattling feed in a container on or near the loft to entice them to trap should do the trick.

That and a few days to get them accustom to their new digs.

Back
Top Bottom