Rhode Island Reds: a few days shy of 18wks

Hteeter2

Songster
Mar 7, 2018
One of my hens this morning didn't rush out for food and water. She hung back inside the coop, and didn't come out right away. Then she went back inside a short time later. I was wondering if she might be getting ready to lay her first egg? She's squawking a little bit too.

When you go to pet her, does she squat??

None of them let me pet them really; unless on the roost at night. They have never been the cuddling type, and I tried to handle them as they were growing up as much as possible.

That’s ok. Unless the hen is lethargic or keeping eyes closed, she is probably just getting ready to lay. I would assume it’s like trying to stay as close to the bathroom as possible when you gotta go lol... I imagine it would feel the same for a chicken. I wouldn’t worry unless she starts acting lethargic or starts closing one/both eyes.

I’d offer her a handful off feed inside and see if she eats.... not eating is never good .

Sounds like she’s getting ready to lay

That’s ok. Unless the hen is lethargic or keeping eyes closed, she is probably just getting ready to lay. I would assume it’s like trying to stay as close to the bathroom as possible when you gotta go lol... I imagine it would feel the same for a chicken. I wouldn’t worry unless she starts acting lethargic or starts closing one/both eyes.

She seems fine otherwise than the odd behavior because they are all usually ready to get outside.

She seems fine otherwise than the odd behavior because they are all usually ready to get outside.
Is she “singing”? Or making a purring noise? Those are also telltale signs. One of my hens takes forever to lay... she has this whole routine of walking around inside the coop and then she sits on all the other eggs for what seems like a half hour.
Keep us posted! And do t interrupt too much; chickens like privacy when laying.

Looks like a false alarm maybe... Went to check on what was going on, and everyone was out in the run. However I checked the coop just to be sure no egg had been laid. No egg anywhere... Some of the girls came in the coop to see what I was doing, and I got to pet one of the girls with reluctance though. More importantly she did squat when I touched her. I'm not sure she was the same one. Does that mean I have at least one about to start laying soon?

Back
Top Bottom