Ribh's D'Coopage

No, it was a general comment. I've noticed a few differences not only in what is considered show bird in the US compared to Europe and Asia, but 'ordinary' breeds.
I have for example had a couple of interesting discussions with the breeder the Marans here came from (he is French and live in Marans ;)) about what gets called BCM.
Yes. I've noticed a number of differences in breed standards between here & America especially. We usually seem to adhere more closely to the European standard.

Yesterday evening Moon arrived at the house accompanied by Treacle. Treacle didn't stay and I though Moon was getting ready to lay her first egg. She wandered about for a bit and settled under my computer desk. Tribe 1, her tribe is pretty much self regulating at roost time. It's generally a quiet affair and they go to roost sometimes an hour before Tribes 2 and 3.
When I got back from sorting out the others Moon had taken up residence on the arm chair and showed absolutely no sign of intending to go to her coop.
By the time I had got the stove fired up and the floor swept she was still on the armchair sort of dozing while I mucked about around her. I've had others stop over for a night in the past and they have always got into the next box. The nest box has a decent thickness perch on one end and this is the preferred spot. In the end I carried Moon up to her coop and placed her on one of the perches.
Treacle has worked out that his younger brother Tyle is taking the piss. Tyle will launch a mating attempt at the not so clued in hens. Cillin then drives Treacle away. Yesterday and this morning when Tyle started to act up, Treacle went for him and Cillin didn't interfere. I had planned on eating Tyle if and when he abandoned his sisters Moon and Tap. This seems to be happening now.

Yes. I've noticed a number of differences in breed standards between here & America especially. We usually seem to adhere more closely to the European standard.
The breed business has become a point of discussion at the chicken club here.
After much debate and humour it has been decided that if the egg, or chicken, didn't come from the region the breed comes from it isn't a genuine example.
This decision was entirely based on you can't call whiskey Scotch Whiskey unless it comes from Scotland and you can't call Champagne, Champagne unless it comes from that region and you can't call Cheddar cheese cheddar unless it come from Somerset in the UK among other examples.:gig

Stage one successfully completed.
All the new girls are in the big coop.
Transfer...interesting.
My senior Campine lost the plot & raced round the bottom of the coop like a mad woman before finally deciding to rejoin the flock. Yes it was dark. Didn't stop her in the least. She did try for a top roost but was persuaded otherwise.

View attachment 2029253
She wasn't the only one to consider a higher roost more appealing. Even in the semi dark they were considering it.
The new girls did protest @ being moved. The Araucanas whined.
The Campines screamed.:rolleyes:
View attachment 2029254

And we are off! good start.

Yesterday evening Moon arrived at the house accompanied by Treacle. Treacle didn't stay and I though Moon was getting ready to lay her first egg. She wandered about for a bit and settled under my computer desk. Tribe 1, her tribe is pretty much self regulating at roost time. It's generally a quiet affair and they go to roost sometimes an hour before Tribes 2 and 3.
When I got back from sorting out the others Moon had taken up residence on the arm chair and showed absolutely no sign of intending to go to her coop.
By the time I had got the stove fired up and the floor swept she was still on the armchair sort of dozing while I mucked about around her. I've had others stop over for a night in the past and they have always got into the next box. The nest box has a decent thickness perch on one end and this is the preferred spot. In the end I carried Moon up to her coop and placed her on one of the perches.
Treacle has worked out that his younger brother Tyle is taking the piss. Tyle will launch a mating attempt at the not so clued in hens. Cillin then drives Treacle away. Yesterday and this morning when Tyle started to act up, Treacle went for him and Cillin didn't interfere. I had planned on eating Tyle if and when he abandoned his sisters Moon and Tap. This seems to be happening now.
Moon has decided she’s had enough of her Brother’s shite and is just going to take a break and roost in the big coop? Nah, the nest box is ok but clearly the Bucket Boy Chair is the “top” roost!:gig

It’s too bad we can’t keep all the boys. Tyle has had it good so far, so if he’s not able to have a place to fit in... doesn’t make it any easier but at least it isn’t wasteful.

The breed business has become a point of discussion at the chicken club here.
After much debate and humour it has been decided that if the egg, or chicken, didn't come from the region the breed comes from it isn't a genuine example.
This decision was entirely based on you can't call whiskey Scotch Whiskey unless it comes from Scotland and you can't call Champagne, Champagne unless it comes from that region and you can't call Cheddar cheese cheddar unless it come from Somerset in the UK among other examples.:gig

I’ll give you all of that except for the cheddar... there are so many nice cheeses that I think cheddar has become more a “style” of cheese than a specific variety. Granted, it would be a great excuse to visit Somerset?

Although, some of those lines of chicken breeds are being carefully maintained to resemble their “local” root stock... but of course there is bound to be adaptations and variables introduced by needing to outcross to keep from too many genetic problems arising. I think it’s a lot like plants and related to evolution. We adapt to our environments, every generation will become more suited to local climates and stray further from its roots. If I were to plunk one of those tropical breeds down here they would either die off completely, or some would adapt. That’s a fairly extreme example, but I bet within 10 or 20 generations they would be a different chicken altogether, even without extensive outcrossing.

So this begs to ask... what shall I call my new local chicken breed? Seeing as Daddy isn’t truly 1/2 Marans, I’m not 100% sure of the “wheaten ameraucana” standards, and mama was a production red hybrid... that makes Chickiehawks daughters their own unique chicken breed right? Saturna Mutt Chickens? Or shall I call them “Saturna Mud Puppies”, because they love the mud in their feathered feet and beards? 😂

Back
Top Bottom