Ribh's D'Coopage

She moults for a long time and in stages, so she's in pin feathers for 1-2 months. For days she's been on her last nerve and quick to snap.

Yes, I think Lottie is having a harder molt this year. She's not particularly snappish but every so often her feisty side shows up. I did a deep clean of the coop today because we had a lovely breeze [which means it will dry nice & quickly]. Lottie & Mhari were sharing a nesting box so they both got hoyed out & while I was @ it I fed & watered Lottie, who would prefer to investigate where I go to feed her away from the jealous eyes of her sisters than tuck in; we did better when I returned her to the coop & she could see everyone else was stuffing their faces. Mhari was back in a nesting box so I tucked Lottie back in with her & Lottie gave her several sharp pecks just so Mhari knew she was only being tolerated. I put extra mulch in so they are nice & deep & should be plenty warm with 2 birds cuddled up together.

Yes, I think Lottie is having a harder molt this year. She's not particularly snappish but every so often her feisty side shows up. I did a deep clean of the coop today because we had a lovely breeze [which means it will dry nice & quickly]. Lottie & Mhari were sharing a nesting box so they both got hoyed out & while I was @ it I fed & watered Lottie, who would prefer to investigate where I go to feed her away from the jealous eyes of her sisters than tuck in; we did better when I returned her to the coop & she could see everyone else was stuffing their faces. Mhari was back in a nesting box so I tucked Lottie back in with her & Lottie gave her several sharp pecks just so Mhari knew she was only being tolerated. I put extra mulch in so they are nice & deep & should be plenty warm with 2 birds cuddled up together.
I can feel the love and affection all the way over here. Lucky ladies to have you. :love

If you've been following along you know Ha'penny is my chronic fence hopper. She knows she's not supposed to but she does it any way.

Unfortunately for my girls their pen & run was built with Queensland's summer heat & humidity in mind rather than cold, dank winter days, which means, as the days shorten & the sun's angle dips, there aren't all that many really warm sunny spots in either the coop or the run. This will change once the run extension is finished & properly installed but for now it is very cool & shady.

We all know how much our girls love a good sun bathe so I wasn't surprised to find Ha'penny had hopped the fence & dug herself a lovely big hole to wallow in in the sunniest spot she could find ~ which just happens to be where the new extension will go. I was busy @ the time & she looked so happy & content I thought I'd let her be & pop her back over the fence a bit later on.

You know how it goes. I got distracted & it was some time before I remembered Ha'penny was loose somewhere in our yard. I had a good look round. No Ha'penny. Then I noticed a flash of copper in the run. The clever girl had taken herself home once she was done sun bathing! Love my girl! 😍
20191009_143722 (2).jpg

I find this type of thing a lot. I see one of them doing something I think is high risk without taking in all the information.
I found Fudge in the middle of the parking area the other day taking a dust bath. She's right out in the open and the rest of the tribe are under the bush near my house. I was just about to hustle her away when I see one of the dogs next to a car not more than 2 metres away.
One of the dogs is getting quite good at watching the chickens now.

Back
Top Bottom