Ribh's D'Coopage

CHOOK OF THE WEEK:
Oshina.
Oshina is one of the newest girls to my tribes & absolutely stunning. Not surprisingly she was bought for her feathering before I even knew what she was. What she is is a Porcelain Belgian D'Uccle.
The D'Uccles were 1st bred sometime between 1890 & 1900 by a chap called Michael van Gelder & the 1st variety was the popular & well known Mille Fleur. The Porcelain is like the negative print of the Mille Fleur, with the same feather markings but while the Mille Fleur colouring is dark the porcelain is pastel.

View attachment 2772398

These beautiful girls are not kept for their egg laying ability. They only average about 100 eggs a year & they are tiny & cream coloured.
Like so many breeds it suffered during both World Wars but has always been very popular in England since their introduction there in 1911 when they were shown @ the Crystal Palace.
I know there are a lot of Silkie fanciers out there, a breed I have never kept & have no desire to keep, but lots of Islanders have & do keep them. I think they would do better to keep Belgians. These wonderful little birds are pretty smart but they are also people friendly & cope well in a mixed flock amongst non~dominant standards. I won't keep really dominant breeds like RIRs or NHs so I can't say how they would do with those. Someone else might know ~ @CrazyChookChookLady ?
View attachment 2772450
Oshina came with 2 Japs, & a GLW frizzle but despite her tiny size is well able to stand up for herself. There is nothing shy & retiring about these birds.​
She's an adorable little dumpling :love

That is what the pink and white striped cat toy is called - Bagpuss.
SHRA. Tax.

FBFB7736-F821-4BD6-A739-6101CA2F6434.jpeg

Awww beautiful princesses :love
They better be beautiful today. I swear they spent over an hour dust bathing, then went for a walk and a snack, and then spent an hour preening. It was a real spa-day! The spa feeling was completed by Maggie making everyone fresh cucumber water - which she achieved by taking the cucumber end I had provided as a treat and dropping it in the water bowl.
A lovely peaceful day - so much so I confess I fell asleep sitting in their run. Fortunately they didn't get too hungry while I napped! :lau

They better be beautiful today. I swear they spent over an hour dust bathing, then went for a walk and a snack, and then spent an hour preening. It was a real spa-day! The spa feeling was completed by Maggie making everyone fresh cucumber water - which she achieved by taking the cucumber end I had provided as a treat and dropping it in the water bowl.
A lovely peaceful day - so much so I confess I fell asleep sitting in their run. Fortunately they didn't get too hungry while I napped! :lau
Sounds delightful! Have you put a comfy chair in the palace? Or out among the grasses?

Sounds delightful! Have you put a comfy chair in the palace? Or out among the grasses?
I have a comfy chair in the shade in their run - I have a little table next to it and Maggie sometimes hops up on the table to speak to me. It is becoming my favorite place to hang out.

I have a comfy chair in the shade in their run - I have a little table next to it and Maggie sometimes hops up on the table to speak to me. It is becoming my favorite place to hang out.
Ahhh how peaceful. I hope to one day bring the funrun to a state in which restfulness among the hens is possible.

Back
Top Bottom