Riddle me this... My hen

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
This hen was originally sharing a nest with one of my other hens, out of nowhere she stopped, perhaps the other bird took over? No, clue anyways.. she went back to her usual foraging during the day but removed herself from the rest of the flock.

Well last night, we couldn't find her.. we searched and searched... it ended up where she was out all night. I finally found her this morning, she is fine but before i could bring her back up to the barn i needed gloves(Muscovy= nails so i go get those come back..) gone again!

I find her on my front porch.. no biggie.. but i admit i picked her up and put her in the pen.. i'm worried about her safety I mean while she is full flight and knows the farm well night time is not safe here...

She is not impressed with being penned up, all the birds daytime forage and are locked up at night but again I don't want her wandering off.

barnie.gif

what the heck do I do here? needless to say I am pretty frustrated. Times like this i wish they could talk lol

This hen was originally sharing a nest with one of my other hens, out of nowhere she stopped, perhaps the other bird took over? No, clue anyways.. she went back to her usual foraging during the day but removed herself from the rest of the flock.

Well last night, we couldn't find her.. we searched and searched... it ended up where she was out all night. I finally found her this morning, she is fine but before i could bring her back up to the barn i needed gloves(Muscovy= nails so i go get those come back..) gone again!

I find her on my front porch.. no biggie.. but i admit i picked her up and put her in the pen.. i'm worried about her safety I mean while she is full flight and knows the farm well night time is not safe here...

She is not impressed with being penned up, all the birds daytime forage and are locked up at night but again I don't want her wandering off.

barnie.gif

what the heck do I do here? needless to say I am pretty frustrated. Times like this i wish they could talk lol

Maybe she is looking for another place to brood, they can be pretty fickle this time of year. I have found mine under my dh work shop such a small space they had to crawl on their bellies to get under it, under the ramp going into their coop, and various other spots. If she is not completely broke of her broodiness that maybe what she is up to. Best for her protection to keep her locked up till you notice a change in her behaviour.

Maybe she is looking for another place to brood, they can be pretty fickle this time of year. I have found mine under my dh work shop such a small space they had to crawl on their bellies to get under it, under the ramp going into their coop, and various other spots. If she is not completely broke of her broodiness that maybe what she is up to. Best for her protection to keep her locked up till you notice a change in her behaviour.

Thanks, I'm glad to know I am on the right track. Daytime is one thing but if your not coming back to be shut in.. we have a problem lol I don't want to lose her.. she's from the original day old flock.

Thanks, I'm glad to know I am on the right track. Daytime is one thing but if your not coming back to be shut in.. we have a problem lol I don't want to lose her.. she's from the original day old flock.

I know what you mean, last year one of my girls went missing I looked everywhere I just knew she was in the woods some where, next morning there she was waitng for me when i came out to let everyone out so that evening I missed her again but started looking closer to places inside their fenced in area, she had squished herself under the ramp and had 7 eggs under there. It was extremely hard to get her out of there I don't know how she managed to get in their and lay 7 eggs. I guess where there is a will theres a way.

I know what you mean, last year one of my girls went missing I looked everywhere I just knew she was in the woods some where, next morning there she was waitng for me when i came out to let everyone out so that evening I missed her again but started looking closer to places inside their fenced in area, she had squished herself under the ramp and had 7 eggs under there. It was extremely hard to get her out of there I don't know how she managed to get in their and lay 7 eggs. I guess where there is a will theres a way.

yikes. She didn't seem to make a nest, just perhaps got off coarse and got to dark? We put her in the barn first last night(well the other hen was still in there brooding) she seemed ok. I am just worried what will happen today..

yikes. She didn't seem to make a nest, just perhaps got off coarse and got to dark? We put her in the barn first last night(well the other hen was still in there brooding) she seemed ok. I am just worried what will happen today..

Right now i don't let my ducks out till late morning by that time i know they have laid their eggs and I don't have to worry about them looking for a nesting site. although this one duck had hers picked out right under my nose. lol every out building we have on our property has some kind of fencing around the bottom to keep ducks and chickens from getting under and laying.

Right now i don't let my ducks out till late morning by that time i know they have laid their eggs and I don't have to worry about them looking for a nesting site. although this one duck had hers picked out right under my nose. lol every out building we have on our property has some kind of fencing around the bottom to keep ducks and chickens from getting under and laying.

Mine don't go out till later most days mainly because of my schedule... she wandered off again this morning, so i rounded her up and put in the pen.. i'm out tonight so my oldest will be putting the ducks in she doesn't need the hassle of find-a-duck lol and i don't need the worry.

Mine don't go out till later most days mainly because of my schedule... she wandered off again this morning, so i rounded her up and put in the pen.. i'm out tonight so my oldest will be putting the ducks in she doesn't need the hassle of find-a-duck lol and i don't need the worry.

they can sure disappear fast. glad you were able to get her.

barnie.gif

She had been staying around so we thought the issue had fixed itself WRONG gone again last night! ugh. Hopefully, I can find her today and all is ok.. she will have to remain penned i guess from now on...

Kinda sad.. the other ducks were hovering around the pen the other day wondering wth was up? lol curious little buggers.
fl.gif
crossed she's ok this morning.

hugs.gif
I hope she comes back like last time. Sorry you are having to deal with this. I'm too green to know what she might be thinking, maybe others have experienced a rogue duck before.

Back
Top Bottom