Riders: Kind of western event you ride in, and how you use your spurs?

I agree about the spurs being used for looks. There's one Arab trainer in Michigan who rides reining horses and he always struts around at the shows in chaps and boots and spurs and hat. I overheard him say something to one of his students about he (the trainer) being a REAL cowboy and I felt like saying "Cowboy? You live in a suburb of Grand Rapids, Michigan! That's tulip country there!"

Quote:
The point is, that spurs are a heavy handed way to make a horse do what you want. A well trained horse (with a good rider) knows what to do and the spurs aren't necessary. I, like EweSheep, would have no business wearing them...

I find this interesting and felt the same way at one time. But, what is the difference in using a spur or using a crop? For me a spur used correctly is just an extension of my aids. If I have applied my leg and not receive a give to that pressure, I may apply the spur lightly. With in a few lightly reinforced tries, the horse will usually move off lightly without the spur backing up the aid. I do not enjoy riding a horse that I have to thunk on with my legs like riding a stubborn little pony. (pony people, please do not take offense.)

that was the point I was trying to make, and please dont think im being a smarty pants or a know it all, thats defiantly not my intention. but they can be used both ways. as a slight and subtle extension of my leg to finesse a movement or the bang bang bang move your rump horse that Im sure we have all seen. do not most upper end dressage riders use a double bridle, spurs and a crop as mer extensions of their body to get the highest levels of finesse out of the horse?

Quote:
The point is, that spurs are a heavy handed way to make a horse do what you want. A well trained horse (with a good rider) knows what to do and the spurs aren't necessary. I, like EweSheep, would have no business wearing them...

I find this interesting and felt the same way at one time. But, what is the difference in using a spur or using a crop? For me a spur used correctly is just an extension of my aids. If I have applied my leg and not receive a give to that pressure, I may apply the spur lightly. With in a few lightly reinforced tries, the horse will usually move off lightly without the spur backing up the aid. I do not enjoy riding a horse that I have to thunk on with my legs like riding a stubborn little pony. (pony people, please do not take offense.)

The way I think of it is, a good cutting horse has an instinct with cattle not unlike a a labrador's drive to retrieve. Good, consistent training is what makes the difference with both. You might want to use a crop to make your horse go faster for barrels or poles, but unless you are literally racing somewhere for some unknown reason (to the horse), I just don't see the need for either crop or spurs...

BabyBlue I was pretty sure we were on the same page.
wink.png

Ok, is this right -

In Western events, the horse may be trained with spurs to reinforce what the rider asks, but by the time he is competing, he's expected to be able to respond without the spur being used.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep. I ride and used to compete with both reining and cutting horses. I DO have a pair of spurs SOMEWHERE. If I look really hard I MIGHT find them. Then again.....

By the time you are actually competing, your horse should be so light and so attuned to you (and you to him) that spurs are superfluous. They sure do LOOK nice, tho.

wink.png

Rusty

edited to add: At the point that you start competing, your horse should change directions, stop, rollback, etc just from shifts in your weight, tightening of your calf muscles, pressure from your seat. When they can feel all that through a big ol stock saddle, the spur just becomes an ornament. Heck, good working horses will change direction based on you turning your head to look in the direction you want to go!

Last edited:
I don't use a crop either unless I'm playing around trick training. Then I mostly use it to point at a leg or something until they understand better and I can just use my arm. My horses will lunge or round pen to my arm position and I only occasionally need to toss the end of a rope in their direction to remind them what they are supposed to be doing. When riding they respond to my weight distribution, leg, and like someone said even just turning my head will make the older ones go where I want. Growing up I used to hop on horses all the time with nothing. No saddle, no pad, no bridle, no halter, no rope, and wearing a beat up pair of tennis shoes if I wasn't barefoot. I brought them in from the back pasture daily that way and sometimes I'd ride all over the property like that. I just wouldn't ride them down by the road that way but the gelding I had my last few years of 4-h would frequently negotiate the highway without me holding the reins. He knew when to stop and look for traffic and even halted 5 escaped mares at the end of the driveway as a truck was coming one really dark night. Ornery little brat but still a nice horse. When I got old enough to take over most of their care I sold every horse that wasn't entirely sane and trustworthy.

I have a set of spurs....used them once this year maybe. I have seen too many things go wrong with people who dont know how to use spurs. You are supposed to roll the rowel along the horse....not kick him with your heel. I will probably be using them tommorrow on my wifes horse who has decided that she will be stubborn.

I have a pair of slide ons that I use when riding a stallion... You need to move him NOW!!!! I have also been known to use spurs on a horse that is dull sided or as a convincer to one that sets it's jaw against my program... I only use them as a schooling aid or for when I need a response right now such as working cows. It is just a little more attention you get from the horse... I use them carefully and am a very experienced rider with an independent seat. I have put them on trained children riding an stubborn old nag in lessons also... They are used much the same way in western riding as in english... unless you are talking a spur stop.. I do not use a spur stop... I use a seat command and stopping all movement (putting the feet on the "dashboard") if you will. I remain active while wanting the horse to be active and I remain still when I want the horse to be still.

Back
Top Bottom