Riders: Kind of western event you ride in, and how you use your spurs?

welsummerchicks

Songster
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
I'm not familiar with how spurs are used in all the different western riding events. When I rode reining horses, even green ones, I don't recall being told to do much of anything with spurs.

If you want to talk about how you use your spurs training on the unschooled/green horse, vs riding a perfect competition ride on the totally finished horse, that would be great too.

Any western event you ride in is fine, but it would be handy to know which type of events you ride in, as I suspect there are some variations in spur use in say, reining, WP, and cutting.

Last edited:
at my barn, no matter what you ride spurs are to encourage slow horses to move faster
hu.gif

Out riding
cool.png

I just got in.

Some endurance riders use them although they tend to use English style spurs. I've never worn western spurs. I know the Spanish have the same mentality about spurs that the have about bits: use as little as possible with as little movement as possible. More rowels = more humane.

I use spurs if I have gone as far as I can in training and need a little more assistance with leg aids. It usually occurs while working on lateral movements, such as leg yielding and half pass work. If I have applied my aids correctly and still am receiving a dull response, I will move to a Prince of Wales spur or a side winder. The side winder has been a recent (last 8 years or so) addition to my equipment. I really like this spur, it is off set and made of a shaped wire that has no rowel.

As far as showing, which I do not do any longer. Spurs were on, honkin' western jingle bob's with dull rowels. Never used them for much, as the horse was already at the level necessary for competition. Basically part of the attire for western equitation. (Western pleasure, in most AQHA and APHA shows spurs are discouraged in western pleasure classes.)

Not riding today here.....18 inches of new snow.

Last edited:
Wish I could ride today. I've got a bad cold that makes me unable to talk/speak. All I can do is sign and type and write on paper. I know I don't need to talk to my horse to get him to understand me, but if something goes wrong, I'd like to be able to scream....

Anyway, I use angled studs. They're kind of different.

They aren't pointy. Imagine putting some brass knuckles on the inside/back of your boots. That's all it takes. It's just a little more "oomph" for those moments when Max says "Nah...I wanna walk instead..."

western pleasure, trail, western ridding. for a well trained horse and rider spurs are as a tool of finesse. less movement of the legs a smoother more effort free ride that looks pretty is the whole goal of western pleasure. Ive never seen spurs discouraged in western pleasure, misuse of spurs is widely discouraged, but like a lot of western pleasure equipment its also an extra place to have some shiny silver lol.

for my 9YO niece that weighs 60 pounds and my old qh thats favorite speed is stop and eat spurs mean move your butt now.

Back
Top Bottom