Riders: Kind of western event you ride in, and how you use your spurs?

A spur stop? I think that's what started all this question - can you explain it more?

I was riding a reining horse, and its owner told me to use the spurs to do a sliding stop. There were several riders there who cued their horse to do a flying lead change by poking the horse in the shoulder with the toe of their boot, or their spurs.

Later, another western rider had a fit when I told her that. She said that was very, very wrong. Never, ever done. But she was not specific - is it never ever done in competition, or never ever done in training AND competition?

In all the recent reining competitions I watched no one actually did that, so either riders are using different cues these days, or it's a correction only used in training (much like what many of you described above, and I happened to see).

That made me really curious about use of spurs in general in Western riding. Obviously different people have a different opinion, but.....everyone has pretty much confirmed what I was wondering, that the use of spur is (or is supposed to be) pretty much the opposite from traditional dressage, at least according to the traditions in both types of riding.

To me BOTH make sense, within the whole training system of each style.

Last edited:
From what I vaguely remember, spur stops were a way to get the droop reined western pleasure horses to slow/stop without using the reins at all. I've never ridden one, but that was the impression - keep the "look" while using different training to achieve your goal. Right? Wrong? Not my decision, but last I knew, years ago, it was starting to be frowned upon.

As for dressage, that I know, and I've ridden many a horse in a double bridle with spurs, with the intent to remain as motionless as possible. The double allowed bit communication with a pound or less of finger pressure on the reins, the spurs allowed lower leg communication with a pound or less of pressure with the heel (when lower leg communication was necessary). Neither was to be used on a young horse, the goal was to train well, and then train to respond to less and less cue pressure and movement. The "stronger" the aid, the less pressure needed to utilize it. Of course, it was often abused.

I believe in teaching a horse to move off the leg rather than using spurs. The place I stable at is competitive Western & one of my pet peeves with them is that spurs are permanently kept on all the boots. Doesn't matter what horse they are going to ride, when they put on those boots, the spurs are already attached. If my horse is being lazy or not listening, I need to teach him to listen, not put on spurs that will deaden him to my aids eventually. I ride him in crocs & the smallest pressure can put him in a canter if that's what I ask for. He isn't fully trained either, being a rising 3 year old with just over a month of work put on him by me. I can do just about anything with him & the owner of the stables can hardly get a trot out of him because he doesn't know how to ask.

Quote:
Did the spur stop make you feel like "what the heck?". Anything done repeatedly can be trained to a horse whether it makes sense or not.

Please, whatever you do, do not use spurs with points. They cut into the horse's side......not fun, they'll give you a few bucks and a rear.

I seldom have used them, but when I did, it was the same way I used a bit. Carefully, but just enough to get the right response, no more, and relief the split second they respond. Some people would bring me unbelieveable knotheads to "fix" or make into children's mounts. Sometimes studs that had mares on their minds more than learning to ride at the age of seven or eight. I use the spurs wherever needed, and as hard as needed. I have spurred a stud in the face before. The face??? Yes, as he was reaching around to bite my shin. He got over reaching around to bite really quick. He did not buck or rear from using them on his sides, just a mare was in the next arena, and he wanted to canter sideways toward her, packing me like an afterthought. Can you imagine if I "did not use them very hard" or some nonsense as that, in that situation? Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. People can get their horses really screwed up and spoiled by the time they are eight, lemme tell you. That horse did eventually get broke really well, and was good enough for her kids to ride, totally reliable around mares. Did he get a few scrapes and welts along the way. You betcha. Did it scar him mentally? Not one bit. Was the owner torqued. Not at all. She was thrilled with the 180 turnaround in her horse's behavior.

That situation is by far the exception, but I'm just saying, not all horses or situations are the same. You do what you need to do, and not a smidge more. Just like a bit, the effectiveness of a spur is as much, if not more, how and when you let off, as how you apply. It is a split hair second decision, pressure, let off, apply, leg away from the side completely, you can do one of the above a hundred times in a minute as you are trying to finely execute a maneuver in a green horse. All that being said, I don't like spurs and rarely use them. I will if I have to though.

Onthespot: You are "spot on".... That is exactly what I do... Use as much force as necessary but as litttle as needed... Striving for the least amount of correction required for the desired response... Anyone who has an extensive background in different disciplines and horses will have had an instance where putting a spur to a horse was a necessary thing. I have retrained lots of "other ppls problems" as well... Years of stupidity are hard to correct... There are horses out there that you wouldn't dream of putting a spur to... and others that absolutely require it.... A spur with a long shank on the back is an extension for someone with short legs that can hit the sweet spot... They are a tool.. an extension of the leg... Ride Draft horses.... this will make a lot more sense... Haflingers, Percherons,... an extension of leg is important and also a good convincer that their big bodies CAN go where you would like them to. I ride a reformed mental case that ran ppl down for years... Bought her for 100 bucks out of some guys pasture.... He was frightended to death of this frieght train of a monster... and with good reason... She has NO RESPECT for ppl... She tried to run me down (all 1300 pounds of her) She stands just 14.2 hand and is built like a brick $it house. Believe me... A horse this spoiled absolutely required a smart person and fairness.... part of establishing the fairness was a firm understanding of the pecking order... Once I got her ran loose into a trailer and home.... We went to work... I used whatever method necessary to keep us both safe... Did I use spurs... Yep... We were down on 300 acres by the Buffalo.. She is thick headed... I kept us safe... She knew I had em on and that I was fair... Do I use them today... If she has an off day... we do remind her that she can be obedient... I ride her at liberty also... so I guess it depends is the final answer... Depends on the horse, the day, the situation, the rider, the skill level, etc... There is a place for all things...

This horse was slated for the meat wagon.... (with good reason)... She was a ppl hunter... She would have tasted mean... With some good training and a change of scenery... she is a bestie...... Top NOTCH FAVE!!...

Israel: you don't know till ya get one from the dark side of the moon.

We finally changed her name from Widowmaker to Porche... P.S. I take dead end horses all the time. I seldom use spurs... use slide ons because they fit in my back pocket and the horse never knows when I have em... I just slip them babies on for a refresher course.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom